Habitat - Indoor :: New and confused

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:30 pm   New and confused

Hi there! I have had a musk turtle before but never a red eared slider! A girl just gave me her 6 year old female red eared slider along with a nexx filter, 40 gallon tank, little cave, heat lamp, and uvb lamp. The turtle is named Yoda and has laid one egg before. She is at least 12" and her shell is a bit rough looking because she previously had shell rot (but was treated and cleared by the vet). The 40 gallon tank is clearly waaaaay too small for her, as is the cave which is supposed to be a basking rock. The girl also told me that she feeds the turtle almost only rosie red minnows which I know is not ideal. Can anyone give me tips on transitioning her to a better, more balanced diet? Also can you help me think of some less expensive options to create more space? I want her to receive better care. While I am committed to giving her the proper care and am not afraid to do some work and DIY, I need to stay on the cheaper end at least for the summer though so I need to be creative. (AKA I cannot go out and buy a 150 gallon tank.) Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!
ks5975

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:55 pm   Re: New and confused

I can't help on the food transition, except to say try a sudden change. Turtles in the wild can go a long time without feeding. My own RES made it out of the aquarium once and was hidden somewhere in the basement. I found her not quite a week later and she seemed none the worse for it.

As to cheaper, roomier options, many use stock tanks. You don't get the clear glass side of an aquarium, but you can get a 100 gallon stock tank for around $100.

There are some great pics here of people who've built these nice enclosures for the stock tanks. You will want to raise it up a bit so you can still use a canister filter.
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:40 am   Re: New and confused

Check craigslist for used tanks... I picked up 90 gallon with stand in great condition for $100. If you're near a college town, you might even find a better deal at the end of the school year.

I would try the sudden change in diet too. She might not be happy for a few days, but she'll learn :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:28 pm   Re: New and confused

If you have a tractor supply around you can get a tuff stuff 110 gallon stock tank for 60 bucks !
2 RES Males , God and Lucifer
the-turtle-Girl

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:30 pm   Re: New and confused

Right someone like 2 hours from me was GIVING away a FULL 125 gallon setup . I was so mad I didnt have a truck I woulda gone . People get rid of stuff dirt cheap on Craigslist all the time !
2 RES Males , God and Lucifer
the-turtle-Girl

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:36 pm   Re: New and confused

I think there has been some complaints about the Tuff Stuff brand and some of the recent Rubbermaids. Just something to keep in mind.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor