Habitat - Indoor :: Is this habitat adequate?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:37 pm   Is this habitat adequate?

Is this habitat adequate? I have a UVB bulb, (reptisun 5) and about 75 gallons worth of filtration in this tank that's slightly under 30 gallons. The substrate is too big for the turtle to eat, but I'm worried that the tank is too bare and small. Any opinions?

http://imgur.com/a/slvP5
mysacisanorange

Post Posted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:07 pm   Re: Is this habitat adequate?

Looks nice, though those filters you have aren't very good. You also need a basking lamp. What's the rectangle thing in the middle? How close is the UVB lamp to the basking area? With the water level that high, you might want to add some sort of barrier at that side of the tank. As for size, it's always better when it's bigger for an aquarium.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:49 pm   Re: Is this habitat adequate?

I have 3 different filters. That rectangle is one of those filters. I have a 10 gallon tetra whisper at the top, a 20 gallon submersible filter in the middle, and a 45 gallon internal filter in the other side. They've done a really good job of cleaning the tank, and it's been crystal clear for 2 months (Although I do biweekly 25% water changes). They even manage to suck up all the skin he's been shedding, and I clean the filters once a month.

I've been working on getting a basking lamp. I'm worried about the energy costs, but I think that a 25 watt halogen bulb should provide more heat than an incandescence, which means I don't have to spend as much on power bills, right?

Thinking of picking up one of these

https://www.amazon.ca/Zilla-R-SRZ15630- ... 96&sr=1-54

Also, what do you mean by barrier? Do you mean because the water level is too high that the turtle will climb out, or that the glass will break? I have a screen cover on the tank. I can't close it and lock it down securely due to the filter cords, but I taped it down strongly. The turtle can't lift it, I've seen him trying.

Finally, I know its always bigger to get a bigger tank, but does it seem serviceable? My turtle stopped growing about 3 years ago, and I'm wondering if this tank seems big enough for him.
mysacisanorange

Post Posted: Sun May 22, 2016 1:24 pm   Re: Is this habitat adequate?

I'm not sure about that halogen. Most of the halogens I use are 50 watt flood-style and splash-proof. A 25 watt might not give you enough heat, so then you need to move it closer to the turtle which can be hazardous.

With a 30 gallon tank, you're probably looking at one more tank upgrade (unless you have a small male) and I'd go with a canister filter as well. Those small filters are only offering mechanical filtration.

For a barrier, you do not need a screen, though I've seen some inventive ways to do it. I thinking of a thin wall (like acrylic or even cardboard) but a wire shelf will work over it.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:57 pm   Re: Is this habitat adequate?

I have an abnormally small male. He's 9 years old, and I finally measured him accurately, and he measured 4 inches, (0.1 or so less).

I decided to go with the 50w turtle tuff Zoo Med Halogen bulb. Probably the one that you were mentioning.

Could you explain to me the different types of filtration? All of my filters have a sponge layer, which I assume is mechanical filtration. They also have activated carbon. Is this not biological filtration? (I'm new to the concept). I heard that carbon kills off all the toxins in the water. I know that good bacteria has to grow on the filters, but I assumed they would grow on the sponge. Is this incorrect?
mysacisanorange

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:02 am   Re: Is this habitat adequate?

I wouldn't say he's abnormally small. I've been using off the shelf halogens (usually GE or Philips PAR30L) for my basking lights.

Mechanical collects physical waste, the carbon is chemical filtration and picks up additional impurities (odors, chlorine). Bio media like ceramic rings allow beneficial bacterial to colonize in the filter.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:18 pm   Re: Is this habitat adequate?

How might one set up the lamps to the right height? I don't want to use the clamps. I heard they can fail and fall into the water. Also, I would have to cut out a piece of my screen mesh, along with worrying about how the pressure might damage my tank. My tank isn't right up against the wall, so I can't put a hook into the wall, nor would I be willing to drill anything on my walls. Finally, I also need to be able to adjust to height for the temperatures. How do you do it? I don't know if I can put the lamp directly on the mesh, as it might melt the cover (not completely sure if metal or plastic but seems to be laminated in plastic. Don't want to melt it and hurt my turtle.) I have been eyeing some turtle basking light stands, but they're expensive, and cost more than my heat lamp and my basking bulb combined. Any tips?
mysacisanorange

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:39 pm   Re: Is this habitat adequate?

I'd add a wire shelf over it just as general protection. If you don't want clamp lamps, there are brackets they sell so you can hang those lamps down. It's still a dome lamp, but with a hook rather than clamp.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor