Habitat - Indoor :: Succulents in basking area?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:49 pm   Succulents in basking area?

Hi folks,

I'm pretty new here; I've currently got my young (2-3 in) RES in a 20 gal long tank, and it's basking area is a floating dock.

This is a question for the future. When I upgrade to a bigger tank (or if I create some sort of DIY turtle topper while still using this tank), I was thinking about planting things in there.

I have a few small succulents that are fine, but probably don't get enough heat and sun. I was thinking it might be neat to put cactus soil and some succulents in / around the edges of a turtle topper / basking area.

Obviously I would leave my cacti out.

Any ideas about this? Is there any reason this might be a bad idea, other than maybe soil getting into the water?

Anyone have a similar setup?

I thought this might be fun and nice for both my turtle and my plants.

Of course, I suppose little Sedge might just destroy everything anyway. Maybe I could gate it off? haha

M
Kingbird44

Post Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 12:04 pm   Re: Succulents in basking area?

Hiya,

I don't have a similar set up but what you do want to consider mainly for health reasons both internal and external is simply having knowledge on your child turtles diet. Turtles tend to go to town sort of speak on a plant buffet or with anything that you offer. Especially red ears. Steve made a comment one day that you know it is a red ear if it eats everything :P . Joking of course I told my sister that Steve identified her a red ear slider (with our sibling love / hate relationship we always had) and after I told her why, Of course I got slapped for it :P . But Steve is right, these turtles eat everything.

So regarding its diet, look at it as overfeeding in which can be harmful of course and a area you may have though of or did not think off. Second and I am happy that you opted not to go with the cacti, you do not want to add in anything that can puncture and or cause injury that can lead to infections in the case you do not see it which in turn can become fatal or serious injury. Also be wary on loose substrates that can get stuck to their foods and cause blockage from them being able to breath and such. Certain loose substrates can absorb harmful bacterial that can be consumed as well like a recent discussion on deteriorating pieces of reptile carpet . When you are thinking about having a attractive display, I am all for it in general but do think about the turtles health as your first and foremost priorities which is way more important than having a display that can cause illness or death. There is many outstanding displays you can do and there is a thread on here with many photos of safe displays that you can get some great ideas from.

I wish you the very best for you and your little one. Welcome to the turtle talk forums and hopefully you become a active member in this online community. Have a great day.
Confirmed Sexed Pair of Albino Red Ear Sliders, Baby Albino and Hybino Red Ear Slider and Adult Normal Male Red Ear Slider
Tampa Bay Turtle Fan

Post Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 11:11 pm   Re: Succulents in basking area?

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, the more I think about it, the less appealing it sounds. I'm really enjoying the "basking area" thread though... and getting ideas for a DIY turtle topper eventually.
Kingbird44

Return to Habitat - Indoor