Habitat - Indoor :: Secure tubing trouble with Sunsun hw-304b

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:57 pm   Secure tubing trouble with Sunsun hw-304b

Hi I recently bought a sunsun hw-304b filter for my turtle and I have a lot of trouble getting the tubing to be secure.
It might be incompetence on my part, but even if I push the tubing in the valve ends as hard as I can and turn the knobs to secure it, it seems to pop right off even with the knobs tightened. Is this a common problem with sunsun canisters or am I just not securing it properly? If it's a common problem, is there any alternative way of securing it?
anonya

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:52 pm   Re: Secure tubing trouble with Sunsun hw-304b

I don't know if it's common with that brand, but many extension tubes can crack over time. Not being secure is a big safety hazard... the turtle can get stuck or you might have a massive leak. I would consider replacing it with PVC. Some people have glued their tubes together, I'm not sure how that works out over time.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:46 pm   Re: Secure tubing trouble with Sunsun hw-304b

It's not the tubing that's troubling me, it's actually attaching it to the spraybar and intake. But I found the real problem and solution.

The stock spraybar/intake they gave feels really thin, so I felt like I would break it trying to get the tubing on it. But the intake/outtake valves were thick and sturdy, allowing me to stretch the ends off the tubing making it easier to fit on the spraybar and stuff. I can see why people default to PVC because of how much stronger and easier it is to set up.
anonya

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:24 am   Re: Secure tubing trouble with Sunsun hw-304b

Could you replace those clamps? With PVC you can drill holes into them and not worry about any potential trap/drowning issue.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:25 pm   Re: Secure tubing trouble with Sunsun hw-304b

Turtles are very curious around anything tubing, wired , or items in general until they get used to these items in a aquarium to which they will then ignore for the most part. I am not saying this is the case here but in general. With this said which is in agreement with Steves posting, the potential trapping could result in drowning in the mean time and I am also in favor of PVC as he suggested.
Confirmed Sexed Pair of Albino Red Ear Sliders, Baby Albino and Hybino Red Ear Slider and Adult Normal Male Red Ear Slider
Tampa Bay Turtle Fan

Return to Habitat - Indoor