Habitat - Indoor :: Filter Advice - Air in lines

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:23 am   Filter Advice - Air in lines

I recently got a SunSun HW304B for my main tank so I could put my previously used filter on my rescue tank. I set it up, got it primed, it runs great except that the intake line seems to suck in a small stream of air bubbles which will cause the filter to make funny noises every 20 min or so, then expel a bunch of air and resume pumping. I've checked all the intake lines and hardware, put electrical tape on the joints for the pieces that are above the water line, vasolined up the hose connection and made sure the clamp was secure. I'm out of ideas at this point. Anyone have experience with this issue with this type of filter?
Raphie - 14 year old female Red-eared Slider (rescued 2002) SCL: 12"
Lucy - 6 year old female Yellow-bellied Slider (rescued 3/19/16) SCL: 11"
DeviantMonkey

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:01 pm   Re: Filter Advice - Air in lines

Any actual cracks or holes you've discovered? Electrical tape will not seal it and you might just need to replace the hoses.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:24 pm   Re: Filter Advice - Air in lines

I haven't found any cracks or holes, and all the hardware is brand new just out of the box. The hoses seem fine and the source of the bubbles seems to be before the stream enters the hose. I think what I'm going to do is just take the strainer part from the bottom of the whole assembly, attach it directly to the hose, then submerge it. SunSun seems to have an awful intake assembly... lots of weird parts and connections.
Raphie - 14 year old female Red-eared Slider (rescued 2002) SCL: 12"
Lucy - 6 year old female Yellow-bellied Slider (rescued 3/19/16) SCL: 11"
DeviantMonkey

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:05 am   Re: Filter Advice - Air in lines

Any pictures of it? How close is the intake to the output? Some canisters do a have a problem with "micro bubbles".
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor