Habitat - Indoor :: Need advice help on type of tank and placement quick please

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:29 pm   Need advice help on type of tank and placement quick please

Long story later. Abbreviated: New turtle keeper. Long time wannabe. Just received a hatchling as a gift along with a nice (but small) 10 gallon set up. Which obviously he will soon outgrow. Rather than start down the multiple upgrade path, I took some online advice and decided to get the biggest tank set-up I could afford and work with right now. Which looks like a 40 - 55 gallon max for a while.

problem is, I am pretty OCD and have been mainlining turtle info online for weeks now and have been caught in contradictory info or info that just doesn't answer my current questions. And I have bought three new tanks (1 new, 2 Craigslist) each time thinking I was set, but each time getting back and questioning which to go with.

I have one hatchling turtle as mentioned, and a handful of companion tetras and catfish. I have all lamps, etc and have been researching filters. Hoping to go with a combination of a Aqua Care HOB and maybe a powerhead or canister in the other side of the tank.

The tanks I bought and are having to choose between are: 1. 40 gallon used full size 18 X 16 X 36 fish aquarium style, 2. New same 40 gallon "all living things" turtle habitat tank from Petsmart with side access panel, and 3. Used 55 gallon (long) tank that is 12 X 21 X 48 long.

Of the two 40 gallon tanks - I had seen some pet stores using the side access filter cut-out panel models and thought that was a great idea - but I now realize it can't be filled more than halfway (due to the cutout) so it will really only hold about 25ish gallons of water. Is that enough for the turtle to grow and still dive? I just got the 55 gallon tank home and realized it won't fit on the stand I need to place it on. It's way too long. But it could go in front of a window - but I'm not really knocked out about having to completely change where I was placing the tanks.

So I guess it comes down to - side access panel 40 gallon tank that will only hold about half the water vs. 40 gallon regular sized tank that can be filled up higher? Vs. complete upheaval to find a place to house this long 55 gallon tank that would most likely be in front of a window, which makes temp. and sunlight issues that I didn't already have. Can you advise please? I have like this weekend to prep and clean and get the tank set up and I was hoping to be further along than this.
Thanks!
radioscooter

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:03 pm   Re: Need advice help on type of tank and placement quick ple

How close would it be to the window?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:52 am   Re: Need advice help on type of tank and placement quick ple

Well in this case it would be completely in front of the window. about 6 inches away from the glass.
radioscooter

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:37 am   Re: Need advice help on type of tank and placement quick ple

Are you willing to keep the window closed and put something like maybe cardboard or foamboard to block the light and heat? You can always choose to make a new stand. Is it too late to return that other 40?
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor