Habitat - Indoor :: Correcting Gap in Aquarium Stand

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:54 am   Correcting Gap in Aquarium Stand

I finally got a proper aquarium stand so that I could feel comfortable filling up my 40 gallon breeder stand all the way (adding an ATBA). Once it was assembled, though, I noticed that one corner of the stand is about 3/16 of an inch higher than one of the beams that meets it (pictures included below). All four corners of the tank are supported, and the sides are too; however, there was a gap between part of the front beam of the stand and the front beam of the tank, so I was worried about torsion. There's only one side of one corner that is higher than the beam that meets it, so I only have to correct half of one corner; however, since it affects one of the aquarium's longer edges, though, it's pretty worrisome.

I got some rubber floor mat material (about 1/4 inch thick and as dense as a yoga mat), which I cut to size to fit under the whole tank, hoping that the tank would compress the mat enough to eliminate the gap. (The mat is relatively thin, so it's nowhere near touching the glass bottom, which I know shouldn't bear weight). Once I placed the tank on top, I could still see about 1/16 of an inch of space between the tank's front edge and the crooked part of the stand's beam. The only thing I could find that would fit in that gap was some corrugated cardboard that Petco used to separate the pieces of the stand (not the box that it shipped in, which was twice as thick); I had belatedly read some reviews of the stand where people said they used the cardboard to even things out, so I tried it. I slipped the cardboard in between the rubber mat and the stand, expecting it to get compressed by the weight as I filled the tank; but I stopped filling when it was about 2/5 full because I noticed the cardboard didn't seem to be compressed at all. Now I'm worried that front edge of the tank is only supported by the rubber that's suspended between the two corners, almost like a hammock, which doesn't seem very stable (especially long-term). My civil engineer brother says that cardboard is surprisingly strong (and granted, I haven't even filled the tank halfway yet), but I would have expected it to cave in more by now--those holes are making me nervous!

I have a few questions--if you can answer any I will be very grateful, and if there's anything I haven't thought to ask please let me know!
1) Based on pictures below and/or my description here, do you think the front edge is sufficiently supported? Can I continue filling up the tank as-is?
2) Has anyone used cardboard to level out their stand with long-term success? (I know cardboard and water don't mix, but I don't have it on the side where I fill the tank.)
3) Would a series of wooden shims between the tank and the tank stand be more reliable? I was thinking of putting in a continuous "wall" of shims that are all touching each other's sides, and pointing in opposite directions so that both edges of the tank's front edge are supported (if that makes sense).
4) Is there another solution that you've used in this situation? Should I just return the stand and hope the replacement is better made, or is there another type of stand that is more reliable?

Thank you for your help!

Gap before adding padding:

Rubber mat padding used:

Wider view of gap before adding padding:

Cardboard and padding added to tank:

Cardboard and padding added to tank, on front left edge where gap is most prominent:

Cardboard and padding added to tank, wider view:

Bonus curious turtle picture- looking forward to that ATBA, periodically dry docking in the meantime:
Samuel T Jackson

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:44 am   Re: Correcting Gap in Aquarium Stand

Yikes--now that I'm staring at the tank and these pictures more, I can't help but notice that dent-looking spot in the middle of the aquarium's plastic base (I added more pictures below, but t's visible in both wide view pics above, especially the sixth one with flash). Since I can see it in the picture before I added water, I'm assuming it was present before I moved the tank; I vaguely remember noticing it before, maybe even when I purchased the tank in August last year, but I can't say for sure. It feels like there could be a very slight scratch at the bottom of the plastic there, but it looks and feels much more like a weird pattern in the sheen of the plastic than a crack, and I can't see any problems with the glass behind it. Is this a stress fracture already in progress, or do some plastic rims just have seams like this?

Jeez, mom, now what?!
Samuel T Jackson

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:27 am   Re: Correcting Gap in Aquarium Stand

I'm having a hard time viewing pics (on a small laptop here) but I would probably level that out with plywood instead. You can still use the foam as well. Is this stand made of wood or mdf? If so, you can probably sand it but I would probably return/exchange it.

But I'll offer my opinions:
1 - For a 40 gal, I think it's likely enough. You might need to fill it a bit more to really gauge it though.
2 - This is the first I can recall someone using cardboard. Plastic or wooden shims might be better.
3 - I think wood is better but it will compress a bit as well. Plywood might be the way to go (home depot can cut it for you)
4 - I've preferred metal stands, and don't put too much trust in stand (or the brand that makes it).
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:49 pm   Re: Correcting Gap in Aquarium Stand

Thanks Steve, and sorry for the huge pictures! The stand is actually made of steel, which should mean it's sturdier but also means sanding isn't an option. I was also thinking of shims instead of plywood because the stand's beam slopes upward to eventually meet the tank, which means the gap is sloping too; so the tank needs 3/16 in. support on the left side and doesn't need any support by the right. I guess I could sand down some thin wood to taper off and fill in the gap perfectly--I'll look into that.

I've resized the picture from my second message above (where I replied to myself), but I know it still isn't very clear. (Basically the line on the bottom almost feels like a scratch, but the two lines at the top look like irregularities in the sheen of the plastic). Does this look or sound like the beginnings of a stress fracture, something that warrants repair or replacing of the tank? Are there any telltale signs of stress on the tank that I should watch out for? I think it was always like that, but I never really looked at the tank from this angle/lighting, so I'm not sure :?

Samuel T Jackson

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:45 pm   Re: Correcting Gap in Aquarium Stand

You could use an angle grinder:)

I would not worry about the sheen on the rim, especiallyif there is no noticeable crack or bulge.

Is the tank level?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:30 pm   Re: Correcting Gap in Aquarium Stand

Yes, the tank is very level on its new stand. Unfortunately, I didn't check the previous stand (a sturdy wooden coffee table), but I'll check it tonight. It feels and looks more like a scratch than a crack (only goes about halfway up the plastic, and doesn't seem to continue on the bottom), so I guess I'll just keep my eye on it. Thank you!
Samuel T Jackson

Return to Habitat - Indoor