Habitat - Indoor :: FX6 Strange Behavior? Air & then shut off?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:49 pm   FX6 Strange Behavior? Air & then shut off?

I don't know what it is about me and my skills to bust up a filter.

We got our new FX6 up and running on 1/21. Today, I walked in to see that my turtle had laid an egg in the water (all signs are gone except for the coloration / oil on the top of the water--she usually eats it when this happens). The filter sounded like it had a lot of air in it, running pretty noisy like I had never heard it run before, so I unplugged it for fear something was wrong. It let out a TON of air. More than usual even, I think, but I could be wrong.

After waiting a few minutes, I thought "Well, maybe that solved the issue" and plugged it back in. It started running like normal, but within about 2 minutes, it just... stopped? Everything went quiet and I couldn't see the major current I usually see from this filter. So I unplugged it again.

I'm guessing I'll need to take it apart and clean it tonight. Is there anything else I should look for while I have this beast split open? Any tips for emptying it enough to carry? This will be a first for this filter.

Thanks,
tbirdie

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:26 pm   Re: FX6 Strange Behavior? Air & then shut off?

I think that's normal when it's reset. It'll stop to let the air settle, then purges it.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:30 pm   Re: FX6 Strange Behavior? Air & then shut off?

Ha ha ha. That's funny. Your fx shuts itself off 2 times a day to purge. Did you not read the instructions? I hooked mine up to a timed outlet and couldn't figure out why it wasn't working at all. So I can laugh at you :-)
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:33 pm   Re: FX6 Strange Behavior? Air & then shut off?

No, I knew that, but it seemed like it was shut off a lot longer this time. I waited several minutes and it still hadn't kicked back on. I don't know why it's letting SO much air in that it's practically hissing or what to really check for leaks. I'm going to plug it back in and see how it goes. Maybe I was just being impatient.
tbirdie

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:43 pm   Re: FX6 Strange Behavior? Air & then shut off?

Make sure everything is secure. If you have problems call their customer service. They are helpfull. Its normal for this filter to purge a lot of air. My fx 5 only shuts off once a day and it purges a lot of air. When you plug it in how long before it shuts off and how long does it stay off? I can check yours against mine. Sorry I laughed at ya but to me it was funny!
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:49 pm   Re: FX6 Strange Behavior? Air & then shut off?

It's fine, she says with a pouty face. Laugh at me, no doubt I am a fool lol.
tbirdie

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:01 pm   Re: FX6 Strange Behavior? Air & then shut off?

Takes one to know one! Is your filter ok?
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:04 pm   Re: FX6 Strange Behavior? Air & then shut off?

So far it seems fine! Maybe I just over re-acted, but the noises it was making were crazy. I still think we have an air leak, but I can't figure it out. I'll keep trying.

Thanks again :D
tbirdie

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:09 pm   Re: FX6 Strange Behavior? Air & then shut off?

Your welcome.
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:03 pm   Re: FX6 Strange Behavior? Air & then shut off?

I found with my FX5 two issues that cause air leaks, both related to the lid.
1) when replacing it, make sure to tighten the screws evenly. I typically do opposite sides simultaneously and don't over-tighten any pair too quickly. Move your way around making a few turns at a time.
2) lubrication of the lid gasket/O-ring. Rub some non-toxic lubricant on there every once in a while. It will help create a tighter seal and, added bonus, extend the life of the gasket.

Otherwise, yes, it's supposed to do the air purge. Occasionally I can hear my filter making too much noise, OR I can see tiny bubbles in the tank. When this happens, I typically unplug the filter and rock the whole thing side to side, let it sit for a minute and plug back in. Often times it just gets bubbles trapped in the media.
OtisDriftwood

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:25 pm   Re: FX6 Strange Behavior? Air & then shut off?

Thanks, but no I have no bubbles purging at all, so I guess we fixed it? Maybe too well? lol
tbirdie

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:12 pm   Re: FX6 Strange Behavior? Air & then shut off?

Yea maybe?
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Return to Habitat - Indoor