Habitat - Indoor :: Plants for turtles - in separate enclosure

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:27 am   Plants for turtles - in separate enclosure

Hello everyone.

I'm brand new to red eared sliders, and I have a question.
I have two small ones (about 2 inches each) in 30 gallon tank with waterfall filter, basking ramp, light, gravel etc.
I have read that red eared sliders will pretty much devour/uproot almost any plant in their enclosure.
So I have came up with a "solution"?
How about if I keep hornwort, which is very easy to grow, in separate enclosure, with slits for water exchange, submerged in thank? Since it grows very fast, I could let my turtles graze on extra growth, and in "return" hornwort would help me keep nitrates low...
Any thoughts. comments, critique will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Damian

Post Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:17 pm   Re: Plants for turtles - in separate enclosure

Hi, welcome to the site! RES are very inquisitive and like to forage, so they will rearrange a lot of things.

You can do a separate tank or rather have some of divider but your tank is too small. You should also remove the gravel or keep it away from the turtles.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:32 pm   Re: Plants for turtles - in separate enclosure

Thank you!
I have already secured 55 gallon tank. They will need more in the future, but I think for now it will do.
Regarding gravel, what should I use instead? River pebbles or sand? I am afraid that the second one can be difficult t clean....
Damian

Post Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:39 am   Re: Plants for turtles - in separate enclosure

Sand should be easy to maintain, at least easier than gravel. River rock (use only pieces that are larger than their head) can look nice too, though I would use it sparingly. Why don't you make that 30 gallon into a planted tank?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:51 am   Re: Plants for turtles - in separate enclosure

Damian wrote:Regarding gravel, what should I use instead? River pebbles or sand? I am afraid that the second one can be difficult t clean....

With sand, various pieces of junk will rest on top of it. All you have to do is siphon said junk right off the top.
Jeremiah

Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:19 pm   Re: Plants for turtles - in separate enclosure

Gotcha. Thanks. Can I use "commercial" sand? Like the one they sell at home depot? I think its called playground sand or something like that.
Damian

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:09 pm   Re: Plants for turtles - in separate enclosure

Yes, you can use play sand but it usually requires more initial cleaning. If you can find it, pool filter sand is less dusty and easier to clean.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:19 pm   Re: Plants for turtles - in separate enclosure

I'll try local pool supply store...right now, bottom of the tank is bare....
Damian

Return to Habitat - Indoor