Habitat - Indoor :: Problems with gnats (long post, sorry)

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun May 22, 2005 3:27 pm   Problems with gnats (long post, sorry)

Does anyone have problems with gnats? I have a 20 gallon long for my 2 hatchlings who are almost 1 1/2 inches each. I have a complete set up which you can view @ my website. One thing I did do was not only use a filter for a 20-30 gallon but I am also using a 10gallon filter at the other end of the tank just for good measure. I seem to be having gnats fly around the tank often. At first I thought it might be from the trash can so I disinfected that along with everything else such at the garbage disposal and basicaly the whole apartment but still am having trouble with gnats! Which only leads me to believe it might be the tank water. Which I change weekly about 30%. Any suggestions?
Sorry for the long post.
~SweetJean~

Post Posted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:35 pm   

filtration is not adequate. neither is the tank size. two 1.5 inchers means 30 gallons of tank. 10 gal. for every 1 inch. for two RES in a 30 gallon tank, 90 gallon filtration is required. yeah....whoop! :shock:
From the homegrowers soul, straight to his lungs. That's the method that I myself find fun. Start from seed and then you'll see, just how fun homegrowing can be.
da sAUCE!

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:21 pm   

Looked at your set-up, and it looks really nice, although you'll probaby want to upgrade fairly soon. I really don't know what could be causing the gnats (if that's what they are)--the only time I've ever heard of anything remotely similar was when the basking area was made from a material that wasn't meant to be in high humidity/water.

How often do you change the water?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 3:23 pm   

thanks for the replies. I have done a 50% water change including changing the media, carbon and ceramic and the problem is all gone. This is weird cause Ive had these hatchlings for about 2months and never had that problem. Oh well, as long as the gnats are gone im happy! :D
~SweetJean~

Return to Habitat - Indoor