Habitat - Indoor :: Suggested Filter for a 30 gallon tank...

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 1:55 pm   Suggested Filter for a 30 gallon tank...

Hi all. I recently took over the care of a RES, his size is about an inch. My nephew lost interest of the turtle after a week and gave it to me. He is currently living in those small plastic tanks with a few river pebbles. I've been studying the site and gaining more knowledge about the turtle. I formed the rocks into a hill so he has a spot to sun bask. As soon as I have a day off this week I will take a trip to the local pet stores to begin buying his new home. I'll start him with a 30 gallon tank. This should tie him up for a good yr or so, until I gather more funds and space for a 60+ gallon tank. Please understand that this turtle came into my care unexpectingly so I have to make ends meet somehow. :P

Ok, if you're still with me, I would like to know, what filter is efficient for a 30 gallon tank? Keeping in mind that he is only an inch, would I be able to go with some of the lower end canister models of Fuval or Rena?

Other things on my to buy list would be, a bask area, lighting (open for suggestions, please), heater, thermometer, and possibly some decor. I would also want some sort of stand and if I forgot something, please let me know. Also, do I want a top for the tank? Do they make tops with sockets for the lighting needed to care for turtles, or should I just go with a single fixture w/clip (mount) for the light.

Thanks.
Justamonk

Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 2:21 pm   

Well, for now, being that he's still a lil guy and there's only one of him, a fluval 4plus should do you just fine. That's what I've got in my 50 gallon with two 3inch turts....it's not working as well now as they get bigger and make more of a mess but it should be just right for you.

Other things on my to buy list would be, a bask area, lighting (open for suggestions, please), heater, thermometer, and possibly some decor. I would also want some sort of stand and if I forgot something, please let me know. Also, do I want a top for the tank? Do they make tops with sockets for the lighting needed to care for turtles, or should I just go with a single fixture w/clip (mount) for the light.

I don't have a top on my tank. It's 3/4 full. I just make sure the water level isn't high enough that they can climb out. For a basking spot, I've had pretty good luck with the Zoo Med Floating Turtle Dock. One place that I know it can be found is PetSmart. I'm not familiar with the diff kinds of heaters. I think mine's a Tronic but I don't remember...as long as it works, right? For decor I use large river rocks (get them at the dollar store for $1 a bag) and plastic plants that suction to the side of the tank. Makes a good sleeping spot. For lighting (remember, you need uva AND uvb) I use the TRex Active UV Heat bulb (uva/uvb combo). It fits great in my clamp lamp and both can be found at Petsmart. As far as a stand, get a plain steel one. They're way cheaper than to wooden ones with the drawers/shelves underneath. Not as pretty, but works just the same.

That's all I can think of for now.....

Just out of curiousity, does the lil guy have a name?
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 2:46 pm   

jenaero wrote:a fluval 4plus should do you just fine. That's what I've got in my 50 gallon with two 3inch turts....

Do you happen to know the size of the Fluval 4 Plus? If I am not mistaken, this is the filter that goes in the tank, under water, will it be obtrusive for the little guy to swim? Sorry if I am asking a dumb question, I am quite new to the aquatic life.

Just out of curiousity, does the lil guy have a name?

Yes, the lil guy is now known as Squirtle. :D I am not sure if he is a female or male, but, I am assuming he is a male until he's an adult and outgrows the normal male adult size. :roll:
Justamonk

Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 2:54 pm   

I don't know the size exactly..i'd estimate 10 or 12 inches long. it does go in the tank, under water. It's got an adjustable nozzle so you can point it down so it doesnt create too much of a current. I've got mine suctioned to the side of the tank (I've heard of ppl sticking it to the bottom) and there's about 2 inches of water above it, so it also provides a good sleeping spot. The fluvals come with the foam inserts but you'll have to buy the carbon separately. The box will say it's for a fluval 4plus.

BTW, there's no such thing as a dumb question. I remember my grade 7 teacher (yeah, I know, that's going waaaaay back) always said "Better to ask a stupid question than make a stupid mistake" :D
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 3:05 pm   

Oh, that sounds great. I have one other question regarding the filter. I might just order the Fluval 4 Plus Underwater Filter online to save a bit of money. Since I never used a filter nor have the box in front of me, what else do I need to purchase along with the filter. I believe you already mentioned, Fluval 4 Plus Carbon Pads.
Justamonk

Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 3:09 pm   

that's it really. Like i said, it comes with the foam pads and the suction cups so all you really need is the carbon inserts.

One more thing you may want to buy is a power bar/surge protector because you're gonna have a lot of stuff plugged in.
jenaero

Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 4:08 pm   

I can attest to that. I have about six different things hooked up to my surge protected power bar. :lol:
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 1:26 am   

Thanks for the responses. I've order the following online:

Jager Heater – 200 Watt, Lifeguard Digital Thermometer, Fluval 4 Plus Underwater Filter, Fluval 4 Plus Replacement Carbon, Zoo Med Floating Dock (15 gallon), Zoo Med Deluxe Clamp Lamp With Switch (5 1/2 inch), T-Rex Active UVHeat Flood (100w)

I can't wait for everything to come in, so I can run to the local petland and pickup a new tank. Poor Squirtle has to hold out for a few more days..
:cry:
Justamonk

Post Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 8:41 am   

good stuff! Just be sure to check the basking temp when you get everything set up. Since it's a 100 watt bulb (same one I use) it should be at least 6 or 8 inches away from the basking spot.
jenaero

Post Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 10:36 am   Just a good thing to have

Another really good thing to have is a timer for the light. I'm not shure how much they are because i found mine in the garage. But it's really good thing to have so you can set it to go on and off when you want it to. It really helps when you go on little trips. Plus you dont forget to turn the light on in the morning, or turn it off during the night. You can probably find one at a wall mart kinda store.

Sounds like your turt will be very happy in it's new home.
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:44 pm   

Just as a side note, if you want to get rocks for the bottom, best bet is to go to a garden supply place, youll end up paying maybe fifty cents a pound max, usually more around twenty cents a pound for rocks where if you get them at a pet store it is close to a dollar or two per pound.

Cant wait to see some pics of his setup. :D
Reyna - 2.25"
Orion - 2.25"

Were 1.3" and 1.4" when I got them on May 12, 2005
therizman1

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 12:11 am   

Thanks to your suggestions and comments, I got my little habitat up and running. I did receive a surprise though. I was only expecting to house Squirtle, but I received yet another little companion, named Itty Bitsy. For now, I hope my tank will do. I've added a few pics of my setup. I will take close up pics of Squirtle and Itty tomorrow.

Justamonk

Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:31 pm   Plastic plants distractive?

So as I've stated above, I already moved my two little ones to the new setup. They seem to appreciate the new space, but love clinging and hiding within the plastic plants. I haven't had a chance to be home during the day to watch their basking behaviors, however at night, they seem to be really attached to the plants. I was wondering if the plants might be distracting them from swimming, exploring, and basking? Oh well, I might just start observing them when I am home next.
Justamonk

Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:54 pm   

The pictures look nice and I like the leaves/plants--what are they?

This is a 30 gallon tank? (How big are the turts?) The light is the 100-watt active UV Heat Lamp? How far away is it from the basking area? It would be good to check the temp--they give out a lot of heat and your tank isn't that big. If I'm not mistaken, the recommended distance is something like 12 inches away from the turt (but check the paper that came with the bulb).

It looks good-- looking forward to pics of the turts enjoying themselves. :)
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 3:15 pm   

The plant is a plastic one w/ suction cup I picked up from a local petland. I read on the package that it was good for water or dry tanks.

Yes, this is a 30g tank. The two turtles are about 1-1/4". The 100w light is the same that Jenaero uses for his tank. The package says to leave it 6" away from the bask area, which I think I've done.

I recall reading that you have the Fluval 4 Plus and the Xp3? It seems the Fluval 4+ has nice water flow but the filtering itself isn't that great?
Justamonk

Next

Return to Habitat - Indoor