Habitat - Indoor :: Suggested Filter for a 30 gallon tank...

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 3:58 pm   

Yes, I have both the 4+ and the XP3 (the 4+ is in a 40-gallon tank). I don't particularly care for the 4+--it takes up precious room in the tank and doesn't do that great a job filtering (as you noted). (I don't care for any filters in the Fluval Plus series.) Internal filters can't compare to canisters, but a smaller tank limits what can be used sometimes. (But no filter is going to pick up all the poop from the bottom.)

I use the same MVB (T-Rex 100 Watt Active UV Heat bulb), but I could never get my turtle to bask under it if he were only 6 inches away--it's too hot for him. It would be good just to stick a thermometer on the basking area where he would bask under the light, leave it there for about 10-15 minutes and check the temp to see what it is...

Still waiting for some pics of your babies... :)
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 5:31 pm   

marisa wrote:Yes, I have both the 4+ and the XP3 (the 4+ is in a 40-gallon tank). I don't particularly care for the 4+--it takes up precious room in the tank and doesn't do that great a job filtering (as you noted). (I don't care for any filters in the Fluval Plus series.) Internal filters can't compare to canisters, but a smaller tank limits what can be used sometimes. (But no filter is going to pick up all the poop from the bottom.)

Ah, I see. I will definitely upgrade to a XP3 or similar in power once my turtle grow out of this tank.

marisa wrote:I use the same MVB (T-Rex 100 Watt Active UV Heat bulb), but I could never get my turtle to bask under it if he were only 6 inches away--it's too hot for him. It would be good just to stick a thermometer on the basking area where he would bask under the light, leave it there for about 10-15 minutes and check the temp to see what it is...

I temp checked it and saw that is was 90 something degrees, so I moved the light slightly away. They have been basking as long as no one interrupts them.

marisa wrote:Still waiting for some pics of your babies... :)

I've posted some pics of Squirtle and Itty on my photobucket album.
http://photobucket.com/albums/y224/justamonk/
Last edited by Justamonk on Tue May 31, 2005 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Justamonk

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 5:44 pm   

Saw them--very nice. :)
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Previous

Return to Habitat - Indoor