Habitat - Indoor :: new 150 gallon tank

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 12:23 am   new 150 gallon tank

Hi All....Well my Daughter and I have had our res for about 17 months now...my Dad just gave us a 150 gallon tank for him...he is now in a 30 gallon tank...He is about 5 1/2 inches...well my question is about the the rock (gravel) on the bottom of the tank...Is it ok to leave it there or will my res try to eat it and get sick? the tank was used for a large Oscar fish that died about 6 months ago...Also can I put a couple of Sucky Fish (Algee Eater's) in there or will he eat them also.....Just one more question....If I feed him guppies do I also have to feed him the Turtle Floater food??? Im sorry that I have so many questions especially after having him for so long but Thing One (that's his name) (Thing Two Died about 2 months after getting him) has always just kind of survived and grown and grown....Thank you anyone for any help that you can provide.....
Mari Ann
lilpugowner

Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 12:40 am   

remove the gravel - it might impact your turts intestines and will make your tank much harder to clean. whatever rocks you have in there, make sure its larger than your RES's head so it can't eat it. occasionally check the size to make sure they are too big to eat. algea eaters or plecostomus and whatever fish or plants in there is fair game. they will eventually get eaten. check the stickies under feeding to get an idea on what you should do. in general, feed more pellets and veggies than fish...
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 5:20 pm   

Boy, you've got a great dad! You don't need to have a lot of rocks in the bottom, just some so Thing One can push them around (they like to arrange things in the tank). Rotate the foods you give him, but a reputable pellet should be included in the diet.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 12:10 am   

Thank you so much for the information...And yes I do have a great Dad....
Mari Ann
lilpugowner

Return to Habitat - Indoor