Habitat - Indoor :: filter not up to par.

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2005 4:03 pm   filter not up to par.

I'm currently babysitting a 3inch res in a 20 gal tank (too small, I know...) and there is a Fluval 3plus filter in there. The tank seems to be dirtier than at should be, as I have a 2 inch res in a 40 gal long, with an AquaClear 200 fliter and the water is crystal clear.

There is organic as well as mechanical media in my filter, and only mechanical in my friends. Is this the reason it's so dirty in hers? Is there organic media made for Fluval 3plus filters, or is a Fluval 3plus filter just not good filter?
bradhart

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 1:05 pm   

Aside from the differences in the size of the tanks and turtles, are the habitats similar in what they contain (any fish, plants, etc.)? Are the turtles all fed in the tank?

I've never used an Aqua-Clear filter, but don't they need to run with a high water level in the tank? If so, you have a fair amount of water in a bigger tank; it will stay cleaner longer. Aqua-Clears also have a pretty good reputation for mechanical filtration.

One of the drawing points of the Fluval Plus series seems to be that you can use them in reptile tanks with a lower water level. How much water is in that 20 gallon tank? Biomedia (organic media?) will certainly help with the water quality, but there's not much room for it in the Fluval.

I currently have Fluval 2+ filter running in a 20Gal long with one turtle ( I have the 4+ in a 40 gallon tank as well). These filters don't have much to choose from in terms of what you can put in them--the sponges that come with it, charcoal pads and microfiltration pads to buy separately. And they need fairly frequent cleaning.

I'm guessing that you're doing better with your Aqua-Clear because of the bigger tank, greater amount of water, additional biomedia and, personally-speaking, because the Fluval + is not that great a filter.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Habitat - Indoor