Habitat - Indoor :: Canister? Or Half Tank?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 9:59 am   Canister? Or Half Tank?

I have a RES size of my fist in a 20 gallon tank right now with a fluval 3 which is terrible. Im also looking to buy a new filter. My options are drop 100$ for a xp or fluval canister, or drop $40 and use my trademark whisper hanging filter on a cut-glass tank. Does anyone have any qualms about cut glass tanks with hanging filters or should I just spend the money and go for the canister?

Im sick of cleaning my tank every 3 weeks and I just want the damn thing clean!!!
Turtle's name is "turtle"
sublime1008

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 10:33 am   

I think personally 1. a turtle the size of your fist is way to big for a 20 gal. tank unless you have very tiny hands ofcourse its exact size can be determined by measuring from the top of the shell down to the bottom excluding head and tail just shell area 2. turtles are very messy and tank will need attention every week it will help if you feed the turtle outside of the tank in a seperate container 3. turtles grow fast and to be healthy and happy they need alot of room swimming basking and nest areas this site has sooooooooo many gr8 ideas plz read them if you cant afford a larger tank look at the ideas posted on the big rubbermaid containers or kiddie pools they are pretty cool 8) Im not sure how attached you are to your turtle so not sure how far you would like to go with all this but me personally mines gr8 and I am going to have to shell out money hopefully for like 40 years this is a big commitment but I like the creativity of building I want my turtle to be happy and healthy so I spend a lot of time here reading all I can and I have learned so much on feeding habitat illnesses etc. I spend alot of money and hopefully will invest alot of years if this is not your heart and your thinking Ill get rid of it rather than making it sick etc. please find a responsible owner that is well informed and knows the big job and expiences ahead I wish someone had done that for me first so now i recommend this web site to anyone that looks at my turtle and says oh how cute Im going to go get me one :lol: my baby is almost 1.5 inches smaller than the size of my grandchilds fist and is in a 30 gal.tank canister filter good luck and keep us posted hope you get clear water soon what ever you do....I dont know about cut glass tanks sorry but hold out someone will make a suggetion soon :lol:
Don't put a question mark (?) where God has already put a period (.)!
lydia_lady_fla

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 1:30 pm   

As suggested in my response to your "Bugs" post, getting that bigger tank and filter would be good. If you want to get a good canister (XP3, Fluval 404, for example), you need to get a bigger tank (around 50 gallons). I wouldn't recommend a cut-glass tank, though (this is where a place has been cut to hang the filter on, right?) You'll limit how high you can make the water level (and most people increase it as their turtles grow). I've never had a Whisper filter, but can't they be hung on the side of a regular tank if the water level is high?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 1:35 pm   ok....

First, I appreciate your lengthy reply. Second, you stated; "if this is not your heart...get rid of it rather than making it sick etc. please find a responsible owner...that knows the big job ahead "

Not to be rude, but I asked a simple filtration question. I have done plenty of research, and have dealt with fish and acquatic creatures for a lot of my life. I do not need (nor did i ask for) an "animal rights" activisit's opinion on finding new ownership for my turtle.

My turtle is very happy and right now is basking on his favorite rock. The purpose of getting him a new filter, and asking for opinions is to obviously help the turtle because I AM prepared for the "big job ahead."

If anyone has anything CONSTRUCTIVE to say on canisters VS cut glass tanks (yes i read the other posts on canisters) please share!!! :)

Conversely, if you want to Dyfus-ize my turtle, keep your comments to yourself. :lol:
sublime1008

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 1:40 pm   yes cut glass

Yes, you are right on the money marissa for what a cut glass tank is...

Ok so ultimately I will get a bigger tank....for now tho, is it that its
a. impossible to put in a canister with a 20 gallon OR

b. Just would be prettier with a bigger tank, more room etc..

If (a) then I want to invest asap i guess in the canister and get the larger tank later.

Thanks! :) :)

p.s. Marissa rules
sublime1008

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 1:49 pm   

seems I owe you an apology I really think I , we are running into a misunderstanding here I hope you will accept my sincere apology and I ment no harm I wasn't suggesting you get rid of the turtle I just know I knew sooooooooo very little about the care I wish we were all better informed before we began this journey kinda got on a box of soap instead of the topic and I see why it was taking the wrong way after I read my words forgive me many of my words belonged maybe in a whole other forum or nowhere at all got caught up in the pleasures of "helping" no evilness intended promise and your advice was good and well taken I will not comment any futher on topics I know nothing about

To the members I do truely apologize for any offense if there was any taken thanks a bunch in advance
Don't put a question mark (?) where God has already put a period (.)!
lydia_lady_fla

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 2:26 pm   

No harm done, L_L_F (hope you don't mind the abbreviation :) ). Enthusiasm is good, but so is keeping reponses limited to the subject of the question/s being posted. (Sublime1008 in no way indicated s/he didn't want to take care of Turtle, just that s/he wanted to improve the habitat).

Sublime1008,

a. I can't say it's impossible to put a canister in a 20-gallon tank; there are different size canisters. I'll speak for the Filstar, which is the canister I do have experience with. You can get an XP1, XP2, or XP3 (which is what I have). The first two are for smaller tanks, are less powerful, cost less. You could probably get away with using one. BUT, you want the most for your money, and you don't want to have to keep upgrading. I had my turtle in a 50-gallon Rubbermaid and thought the XP3 might be too powerful (wrong). The smallest tank I've had it in was a 40-gallon, and currently it's working in a 110-gallon just fine. A 20-gallon and an XP3? I don't know what kind of current it would make (when I had it in the 40-gallon I used the spray bar rather than the spigot, it comes with both). For a small turtle, I'd say no--I wouldn't want him whipping around the tank. I would think with the 20-gallon a smaller canister would be better, but then there's upgrading when you get that bigger tank...Also remember, no filter is going to keep a tank completely clean--those canisters are made for fish, not turtles (but you knew this, I think).

b. The bigger tank would be prettier, yes, but it would also make life easier for you in terms of cleaning as well as healthier for your turtle.

You're decision, but I think if I knew I was going to get that bigger tank (really) soon, I'd spring for something like the XP3. Have you looked at www.bigalsonline.com ? You could compare brands/models there.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 2:41 pm   Its all good :)

Its all good, peace and love :)

~sublime
sublime1008

Post Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 12:30 pm   Filter

Ive been using the large whisper internal filters for a while and they do a good job for me and they hang with suction cups so you can have the water level that you choose.i have one for every 15 gallons of water and change the filter cartridges weekly.
My family includes:wife,2 grown kids,4res,2 russians,2 sulcatas,3 boxies,1 alligator snapper,1 soft shell and 1 mud
MDOLLAR

Post Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 12:52 pm   Please Dont

Do not get a cut glass tank. The hole in the side creates a structral flaw. Think about it. would you cut a hole in the side of your tank. I dont mean to be rude. I just knew someone who had on of those tanks with the hole cut in the side of it. It broke on him the first 10 days he had it. The water got all over his carpet. Which is a gross mess to clean up! i would jump for the canister filter. BTW the guy who had the tank went out and got another one. I think it broke on him too.
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 3:57 pm   

As Gouzlan said, DO NOT get a cut glass. Glass is not made to have holes cut in it, it is one thing if the glass is poured around a hole, but a whole nother thing when you cut a hole in it how they do with these "turtle tanks." Many times there are small imperfections in the glass when they cut it, and the force that the water puts on the glass will cause the crack to increase and eventually completely break. It would be rather expensive (getting another new tank, and cleaning it all up) if this did happen. Water weighs around 8.12 pounds per gallon, figure you have 15 gallons in the 20 gallon, thats around 120 pounds, and that can all be changed into pressure against that little crack that may be there, just think if you put two giant sand bags up against the glass, do you think it could hold it without any doubt? A regular glass tank could without a doubt, a piece of glass that already has a whole in it, Im not so sure.

(I work with people who work with glass everyday... and have to cut holes in it... thats how I got all my info)
Reyna - 2.25"
Orion - 2.25"

Were 1.3" and 1.4" when I got them on May 12, 2005
therizman1

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:41 pm   

:?: Has anyone sealed these holes before? I was thinking of having a new piece of glass cut and puting that end but I was unsure if it would work and if my Wisper filter would fit over the stupid screen molding on the top anyway. I have to find another top soon because my cats have taken to laying on the screen and watching Bob and his fish. My wife is moving the tank to a different location today to make it harder for them to get on top of it.
doomsdaybob

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 2:07 pm   

you can buy aquarium safe silicone to seal cracks or join glass. but you haven't given any details so i dont what your setup is like and what are you trying to do. any pics?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 2:55 pm   

Gouzlan.. seems to me your story of your friend with the hole in the tank tanks is exactly the same as a poster on the previous turtle board.
Adam
pkneeyahx
Retired Mod

Return to Habitat - Indoor