Habitat - Indoor :: Hatchlings on Rock Mot of the Time.....

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 8:28 pm   Hatchlings on Rock Mot of the Time.....

My 2 hatchlings who were just transferred from a little plastic container to a tank with light sources and heater, plenty of swimming room, etc... yesterday seem to spend most all their time up on the floating rock.
I work about 10-7 so I am not home to see them but I thought they would swim more. ???
Also, I have fed them daily (not even sure if that is correct) and read that they should eat while in the water but only one ate on Sunday and neither have eaten since... is this normal?
I am feeding them hatchling food in very very small pellets, more like tiny balls that float, specifically for hatchlings.

I am sorry, I am really new to all this and I appreciate any help for my little guys!
Coco

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:03 pm   

What are the temps of the water and basking area? The water could be a bit cold...........not sure, just a thought.

As for the lack of eating it is probably just because they have just moved into their new home. Wait a few more days to see if it gets any better. Just make sure you are still offering food.
Stacey

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:35 pm   

Also, try another brand of pellets. My babies would not eat the "zoo med" brand hatchling food. But loved the "reptomin" pellets. Good luck! :wink:
-Kristy
punkiemichelle

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:38 pm   

I will give them a few more days... thanks. How often should hatchlings be fed? (presuming they are eating!)
Coco

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:45 pm   

Feed them once a day until they are one year old. You should only feed them the amount of food that would fit in their head if it were hallow, so not very much!! I have two hatchlings that are three months old now and I usually feed them four pellets a day. Along with as much cuttle bone and lettuce they can eat all day every day!
-Kristy
punkiemichelle

Return to Habitat - Indoor