Habitat - Indoor :: DIY Filter

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:15 pm   Re: DIY Filter

Don't know, I have not made my own filter before but there should be a few others you can try.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:13 am   Re: DIY Filter

Okay, so I did another test run and instead of water squirting out from one spot, it was pouring out from one spot. Clearly there is a problem with one particular spot. I checked the gasket again. There doesn't seem to be a tear, but there is one spot that is softer than the rest of the gasket. It has some scratch-like marks, but no hole. I think I may just buy a new lid because I can't find a gasket the size I need.

Also, should I have the outtake on the bottom of the filter? Most canister filters I've seen had it on the top next to the intake. I only put in down there because the guide I followed had it that way. I've been looking at this thread for inspiration: http://diyfishkeepers.com/forum/showthr ... lon-Bucket
JoseDRivera

Post Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:55 pm   Re: DIY Filter

I'm not the filter guy, but where the output goes basically depends on the internal layout and how the water flows inside. I suppose you can have in on the bottom, though that might have excessive pressure (point of failure).
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:13 pm   Re: DIY Filter

I went to Home Depot to get another lid. It looks like they're all the same.

Who's the filter guy? How can I get in touch with him/her? I'm thinking it has to be a pressure problem and was wondering if it's possible to have the pump outside the filter. I was reading on the difference between pushing and pulling water, but I'm still a bit confused on the matter.
JoseDRivera

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:22 am   Re: DIY Filter

Which guy in particular? This thread started a few years ago, it might be hard to reach some of the posters.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:01 am   Re: DIY Filter

Anyone who's active on this forum that knows about do-it-yourself canister filters.
JoseDRivera

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:59 am   Re: DIY Filter

Don't think there is currently :(
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:47 pm   Re: DIY Filter

That's a shame. Thanks for the help though. I'm going to continue researching this in order to figure it all out.
JoseDRivera

Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:25 am   Re: DIY Filter

No problem, I think you're close to a solution.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:16 pm   Re: DIY Filter

Anyone ever try making a diy overflow box ? Instead of a pvc overflow that takes up a whole corner of the tank just the top corner for the box . I mean overflow boxes are so expensive . has anyone ever tried to make one ?
2 RES Males , God and Lucifer
the-turtle-Girl

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:57 am   Re: DIY Filter

Don't think I've seen it on this forum, but I'm sure it's been done on the major fishkeeping sites.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:28 pm   Re: DIY Filter

Instead of spending 100 dollars on one that's like crazy
2 RES Males , God and Lucifer
the-turtle-Girl

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:02 am   Re: DIY Filter

i'd make a smaller version of what greg from myaquariumbox has done in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avo1koHZVoY. Pump drawing water into a mechanical barrel and a pump going into a biofilter that passively returns to the tank. I honestly would not risk making a full canister filter w/ buckets with flimsy lids since canister filters have quite a lot of pressure. I'm really interested in doing something like what he has done but in 10-20 gallon rubbermaid brute garbage cans.
WMah

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:34 pm   Re: DIY Filter

That looks amazing. Do you have any pictures of what you're running? I would also not use garbage cans or anything that is not food-grade material. It's a bit more expensive, but they are out there.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:44 pm   Re: DIY Filter

Hey steve, I'm still waiting on all the parts but mine will be more of a newbie version of his as i don't have the room for multi barrel filtration. I will be running an FX6 that's strictly mechanical which will output into a 20 gallon brute with k1 micro in it with air stones to circulate the k1, which will use 2" pvc pipe to overflow drain back into the 150gallon stock tank. I will try to post pics of my attempt to make this. I am just waiting on all the parts to come in.

Looking at the DIY canister filters, I honestly don't have faith in tupperware snap seals to offer reliable sealing for a pressurized canister filters. That's just me. Even commercial canister filters are prone to leakage with sturdier clamps and seals.

As for food grade plastic containers, i have been reading up on the plastic of brute containers and on reefcentral a member posted he picked a few up and on the bottom of the container, rubbermaid actually indicates "Food; White, Yellow, Grey". The other colors of brutes have the risk of leeching the dyes into the water I believe. I was looking into brutes due to the flexibility of them being available in a variety of sizes. I don't have room for a 55gallon food grade barrel nor do would a 5 gallon food grade bucket from home depot be big enough.

Then again, I was housing my turtles in a 189L rubbermaid roughneck and another rubbermaid tote prior to that without verifying the plastics were food safe. Did not know at the time and many turtle websites suggested rubbermaid totes as an alternative to glass aquariums lol.
WMah

PreviousNext

Return to Habitat - Indoor