Habitat - Indoor :: DIY Filter

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:37 am   

xstefanx,

Here's my thread about my DIY filter. I hope it doesn't confuse you more.

I'd suggest that you get the largest container you can get. The idea is to put in
as much biomaterial as you can after the water goes through mechanical filtration.
Carbon is optional, you can put it in between.
RES - Ramen <f> (51/4")
RES - Heine <f> (43/4")
Asian Leaf Turtle - unnamed <m> (53/4")
measured at Nov 24, 2012
< my turtles' pics >
Kemul

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:42 pm   

So for my 55 gallon tank I am thinking about getting a 3.5 gallon bucket with this Gamma seal lid: http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/gamma_ ... ducts.aspx

Then I would be getting a 250 gph pump to go along with it. Does this sound about right?
xstefanx

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:30 pm   

xstefanx,

Looks good, but I'm not sure the lid would be able to handle the water pressure.
I highly suggest that you set the pump after the bucket. First set the bucket's
bottom level with your tank's bottom, then gradually move the bucket lower and
see if the whole bucket can be filled with water without too much pressure that the
lid can handle.

Or, if you want to set the bucket as top-of-tank filter (like laurapa did), you need
to make sure water covers the whole biomaterial. In this setup, you need to set
the pump before the filter, but there will be no pressure inside the bucket. You can
even not use the lid.

Post your design :)
RES - Ramen <f> (51/4")
RES - Heine <f> (43/4")
measured at Nov 24, 2012
< my turtles' pics >
Kemul

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:43 pm   

Yeah my plan was to have the pump after the filter.

I would really like the filter to sit under my tank on the shelf of my stand. They way my set up will be laid out it would be much nicer if I could have it this way. The shelf is roughly 28 inches below the bottom of the tank. Do you have any suggestions as to a container that is about 3 1/2 gallons that might be able to hold the pressure?

Also I think I read somewhere that I can use lava rocks as the bio material. Is that accurate? I don't know a whole lot about filters but the way I understand it there would be things growing here, and they take the ammonia out of the water, if this is the case this part doesnt need to be cleaned often if at all right? And what should I use for the mechanic filter? I'm assuming I can get something at a pet shop to put on top for that. And this WOULD need to be cleaned/replaced semi-often right?
xstefanx

Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:09 pm   

xstefanx,

I don't have much knowledge about containers that can handle much pressure.
The specialized canister filter, I think, uses very secure lid that can handle high
pressure from the inside. Most household canisters are designed to keep moisture
and air out, something like pressure from the outside. So, I think if you can make
it so that the water going into the canister is equal to the water going back to the
tank, you won't have pressure problem. The lower the filter is from the tank, the
more water pressure in the filter.

I'm not sure about lava rocks as biomaterial. As long as something has lots of
surface area or holes, I think it would work. I use bioballs, they're sold cheap
here. I think I bought my 100 bioballs for $2.50.

You're right about filtration. What's important for a turtle tank is mechanical
and biological filtration. If you have smell problem, then you want to try activated
carbon for chemical filtration. Mechanical filtration is for solid waste. Biological
is actually living bacteria that converts ammonia (from waste, uneaten food)
to nitrite, then to nitrate. Nitrate is rather harmless as long as it doesn't go above
a certain level. The only way to get rid of nitrate is water change. If you have
good filter, you can do the water change about bi-weekly.

I use floss from fish shop for mechanical filtration. It's cheap too. You can wash
it when you change water or when it looks dirty. Biomaterial you can clean
much less often. And always clean your biomaterial with tank water, so that you
don't kill your good bacteria. I read that slime on biomaterial is actually the
bacteria colonies.

Good luck! :D
RES - Ramen <f> (51/4")
RES - Heine <f> (43/4")
measured at Nov 24, 2012
< my turtles' pics >
Kemul

Post Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:56 am   

Well.... 28" of water has a pressure of about 1 PSI (pounds per square inch). This may not seem like alot, but think about all of the square inches on the lid, and it adds up very fast.

As for the filters, I use a filter floss type thing for my filter (not DIY). It seems to mechanically filter pretty well.

The most important part of the filter is the biomedia. I would go with a commercial product. It never needs replacing, and rarely needs cleaning(in tank water), so I would go with good reliable stuff. Bioballs, Biomax, and other things of that nature.
Cap-hits, not Cafits.
Caphits

Post Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:05 am   

Can i get a pic of perhaps a running filter?
Gianni989

Post Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:28 pm   

You ever get any pics of it installed with the media in it? Also, I've seen a pump the stores use that I want to make. http://www.petco.com/product/100126/Hag ... FC_Filters

You think I could make that? I really want one, but not at that price.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my sig is useless. Without my sig, I am useless.
Mech Cb

Post Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:01 am   

Guys, I'm joining this topic late, but it seems to me you are worrying about pressure in filter.

This design here has no pressure in any container at all. It's all based on overflows and all stops and wont drain the tank if power fails.

If I were going to build a DIY filter (and I may if I get a 100+gal tank) I'd use this guys ideas.

Link
'Grandfather' to Squirt, the 5½" RES
and Snoopy the HUGE dog that was SUPPOSED to be a beagle!
bover907

Post Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:15 am   

bover907 wrote:
If I were going to build a DIY filter (and I may if I get a 100+gal tank) I'd use this guys ideas.

Link

I've seen that before.....Not a fan.
I don't even know why this thread is a "sticky" since it obviously has a bad design where the water just bypasses the media.
I don't think he ever got it work since there aren't any pictures of it installed on a tank. :roll:
jozzep

Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:56 am   

I can see what you're saying about it not working properly, but all you would have to do to change that is put the intake at the bottom on any of the sides. That would run the water through the filter.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my sig is useless. Without my sig, I am useless.
Mech Cb

Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:19 pm   

I've seen wet-dry designs that use a siphon that actually intakes near the bottom. Would that be ok?
'Grandfather' to Squirt, the 5½" RES
and Snoopy the HUGE dog that was SUPPOSED to be a beagle!
bover907

Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:41 pm   

jozzep wrote:I don't even know why this thread is a "sticky" since it obviously has a bad design where the water just bypasses the media. I don't think he ever got it work since there aren't any pictures of it installed on a tank.

Based on this design, I built my filter and it has been keeping my water clear. My fish are living well too, not to mention the turtles. Click here for my filter.
RES - Ramen <f> (51/4")
RES - Heine <f> (43/4")
measured at Nov 24, 2012
< my turtles' pics >
Kemul

Post Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:56 pm   

Hey just one question guys,

This filter seems totally awesome and I'm about to but a big 400 gph pump for my 75, but my one question is: Since fountain pumps are designed for the outdoors, and can filters are designed for in your living room or bedroom, will this filter be louder than a normal can filter?
suprchuck1

Post Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:08 pm   

I guess it depends on the pump itself and how you setup your filter.
RES - Ramen <f> (51/4")
RES - Heine <f> (43/4")
measured at Nov 24, 2012
< my turtles' pics >
Kemul

PreviousNext

Return to Habitat - Indoor