Habitat - Indoor :: $200 budget can it be done?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:36 pm   $200 budget can it be done?

I've been reading in this forum for the last couple of days and have learned quite a lot.

My wife has been hinting about getting a pet turtle ever since we've been married (about 3yrs).

She had one when she was in high school for a short time and had to give it a away.

I want to surprise her for mothers day and i think this would be perfect.

The problem i have is... that i only have a $200 dollar budget and would like to house it in an Aquarium so we can watch it swim and be happy.

So that said, the big rubber maid container is out.

Can it be done?, they have a large selection of RES's at the local Petco. They are currently about 3in wide. I am hoping to possibly locate a younger one if possible.

Filter, Light, Tank, heater etc... Can it be done?,

Any imput is very mutch appreciated.

Thank you again

PS I am located in Vancouver, WA if that makes a differance.
BigCT

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:49 pm   

I spent $300 on my initial setup. 50 gal tank, stand, uva/uvb combo light, heater, filter, basking dock, food, thermometers (one for water, one for basking spot), ReptiSafe water conditioner. It really depends on where you shop. You can check the classifieds in the paper. Sometimes people are getting rid of tanks pretty cheap. I got the best deal at my local SuperPet. Be prepared for other expenses tho. Shop around to get the best deal. Maybe see if you can save a little more this week...even another $50 will make a big difference. For substrate, I use large river rocks. I get them for $1 a bag at the local dollar store. Now that I think of it, that $300 I spent was in Canadian money...you should be good with $200 or $250. Like I said, take some time and shop around. Go to every pet store in your area before you actually purchase anything.

good luck! :D
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:50 pm   

I forgot to add the $30 each that I paid for the actual turtles..oops..lol.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:29 pm   

Look for ads in papers or at pet stores of people selling tanks. A lot of people just want to get rid of them and sell them cheap or even give them away! Also maybe ask around to friends and co-workers if they know anyone who is getting rid of them.

That will free up a lot more money for the accesories you need and the turtles themselves. Just don't skip any of the necessary things for the turtle!
tissigirl

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:54 pm   

I went internet shopping for you.. This is what I came up with,
as you can see it is quite a bit more than $200.00.
I tried to save you some grief down the road by going with somthing that would last you at least 1 year possibly 2-3.

Hmmmm... Lets see..

@ www.glasscages.com

1-55 gallon tank (no stand) $70.00

@ www.bigalsonline.com

1 rena xp3 filstar canister filter $99.99
(no media included)

Media for filter $15.00
( depending on what want
Check with other filstar owners
on what they use.)

@ www.drsfostersmith.com

Flouorescent strip light 20 inch long $24.29
Reptisun 5.0 UVB/UVA bulb $23.49
(this bulb must be replaced
every 6-8 months)

tank stand $70.00

@ www.petsmart.com
Flukers porcelain Clamp lamp
10" bell $14.99
(I have 3 of these, not one has
went bad. mine are on 24-7)

Exo Terra Heat Glo Infrared 75 watt $7.99
(I prefer this or the Zoomed infrared
myself you can also use
a 100 watt light bulb but it has to be
turned off at night)

Floating Turtle Dock large $18.99

Fully Submersible Deluxe
Heater 200 Watt $15.99

Reptomin (this is a big can!) $ 8.99

Aqua Safe water conditioner $ 8.99
(takes out chlorine etc)

Total before S&H & Tax------ $369.72

This will get you started. You might be able to do better
at your local pet store. DON'T GET SUCKERED INTO A "KIT"
I have not included gravel, a tank vacuum (aka python) or a hood of any type. Any hood you buy cannot go between the UVB light and the turtle
I also did not include 2 thermometers 1 for the water and 1 to keep an eye on basking temp. Or a good Turtle book. (like Turtles for Dummies)
I also did not include the price of the turtle.. (just 1 is recommended for this set up)
soopermum62

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:09 pm   

I just upgraded and I did not spend quite that much! Plus, depending on what size turtle you get, you could possibly get a way with a smaller tank, but be prepared to upgrade later!

I spent $65 for a 40 gallon and $67 for a stand. my filter was just under $60, basking dock $15, heater $20, hood $27, special UV flourescent bulb about $15. You will also need a basking light. the bulbs are $6-$10. You can get a small thing of reptomin to start, but be sure to get him fresh veggies every week. I just get whatever I am going to eat that week (i.e. for a salad).
You can find rocks and such if you have a stream or creek nearby, but make sure to rinse them well!!
Also, as i said before, look for someone who is getting rid of a tank or stand. That will REALLY save you a lot of money!!
tissigirl

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:24 pm   

You could even try ebay. You never know what you can find in your area. Doesn't hurt to look.
Stacey

Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:57 am   

Tiss what kind/brand/type of filter did you buy?
soopermum62

Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:43 am   

the filter and tank will be the most expensive items. the filter, try ebay or look in the online deals area for the xp3. for the tank also try ebay (local pickup), a reptile show in your area, craigslist if there is a city nearby, or freecycle... also check petstores for closeouts or display models on sale

good luck
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:00 pm   

Thank for the replies so far.

Tissi, I would also like to know what filter you purchased, and how it is working so far.

I can take care of the rocks and basking area. My main concern with cost is. Tank, filter, turtle, heat, light, water treatment, and of course anything else i might be missing.

I was wondering if it would be possible to use 2 lesser priced filters such as the this whisper 40 series to cut cost?

I'm sure that is a newbie question but i am what i am.

Thank you all again for the education, and i am taking notes so the more info the better.
BigCT

Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:41 pm   

that might actually work. at opposite ends/corners of the tank. i had one whisper40i that worked wonders in Honu's 25 gal long. but recently got a flu4.
From the homegrowers soul, straight to his lungs. That's the method that I myself find fun. Start from seed and then you'll see, just how fun homegrowing can be.
da sAUCE!

Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:57 pm   

I got a Fluval 4 and it's working great so far.

You could always get a smaller/cheaper filter (such as Fluval 1 or 2) and get another filter as well. I use a small square filter that you sit in the tank. You just put in loose carbon then angel hair or polyester fiber (found in pet stores). They only cost about $6 and they work great for filtering out large debris as well as small particles. Plus it's really easy to change the fiber when it gets dirty.

BTW i'm watching my turtle right now, and he keeps biting the air tubing in the tank! LOL is he that hungry that he has to resort to plastic??
tissigirl

Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:06 pm   

New Problem

I just found out it is illegal to sale RES's in Oregon. That seriously cuts down on my abillity to locate multiple stores offering turtles (Vancouver, WA is a suburb of Portland, OR).

Will I be OK getting a RES from Petco? I would say they were about 3-4 in shell length they had about 12 of them in about a 125 gallon tank. they seemed active.
BigCT

Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:16 pm   

I don't see why not. Just out of curiosity, are you getting one or two?
jenaero

Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:37 pm   

jenaero wrote:are you getting one or two?

I was thinking about getting two, they're asking only $15.99 US each, but with the research i've done i cannot afford the extra filtration and talk size for more than one.

So... Just one
BigCT

Next

Return to Habitat - Indoor