Habitat - Indoor :: can I put fish in my turtle tank?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:51 pm   can I put fish in my turtle tank?

Well, I know this may be a silly question, but I'm quite curious as to whether or not I can put other things in my turtle tank (you know..besides the RES)... I have a turtle tank filter for up to 30 gallons.. and my environment is very open..so I figured a few fish would be a nice addition.. anyone have suggestions? or maybe snails? crabs? :) thanks for the input in advance.. oh and I apologize for asking such questions.. I attempted research but couldn't come up with much!

Prashant!
I'm a noob!
scubaprashant

Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:02 pm   

you can research in the stickies posted at the top of each forum. do some research. i suggest it.
From the homegrowers soul, straight to his lungs. That's the method that I myself find fun. Start from seed and then you'll see, just how fun homegrowing can be.
da sAUCE!

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:59 am   

You can definetly put fish in there, but don't get too attached to them. Anything that lives with your res is a potential food item. Stay away from goldfish tho because they're quite fatty and no good for your turts if they catch them. I still have guppies in my tank that have been there for a few months. Some get eaten, some dont. The ones that are left eat a lot of the crap in the bottom so it saves me some work. Rosy red minnows are good too.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 8:22 pm   

Will hatchlings eat the fish mentioned above? They seem so small but if they would like it I would certainly get them some. Also, if you put little fish in the tank and they survive for a while do you need to feed them or is there enough crap in there :lol: to keep them going?

thanks!!
Coco

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 8:28 pm   

trust me when I tell you that there is NO shortage of crap. You can put guppies in with your small turts. They'll eventually catch them. I've had guppies in my tank for a few months now and I've never fed them. AND they're breeding :roll: so they must be eating something
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:37 pm   

That is great news, thanks!

P.S.- do I just ask at the pet store for guppies or is there a particular type I need? and will turtles as small as hatchlings eat them?
Coco

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 1:26 am   

i was really nervous about my little turts (1.5") catching and eating fish at first. but they have no problem handling it. and the fish are longer than my turts head is. you may want to try killing the fish and holding it out for your turt if you think they wont be able to catch it. but i've added 11 all together since i got my two guys 2 weeks ago and there are 4 left. :) once they get hungry enough they'll catch them.

just ask at the petsore for rosy red minows (or guppies). every petstore i've been to so far has had them. and they are way cheep. can't complain.
Nicole
Hide and Seek are almost 4.5" each
1 Bearded Dragon named Ben :)
kneecole

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:30 am   

just make sure you ask for feeder guppies..not the fancy ones..huge price difference :wink:
jenaero

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 12:25 am   

Not only is there a large price difference, but if you get the large ones, there's a lot of fat which isn't good for the turt. feeder guppies (babies) are good, but i recomend rosey reds, or cloud minnows.
bradhart

Return to Habitat - Indoor