Habitat - Indoor :: basking light on all the time?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:23 pm   basking light on all the time?

Me and my son are new owners to 2 baby res, about 2inches long each. I usually turn the basking light off at night but I fear that the water temp will get to cold during the night since I do not have a water heater yet. What should I do? Will it hurt them if I leave the light on during the night?
~SweetJean~

Post Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:37 pm   

First of all get them a heater. I don't think that it will harm them if you leave the light on all night. It is not necessary to have it on all night, but because you don't have a heater yet, you should. Just get them a heater ASAP.
Stacey

Post Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:02 pm   

The only problem with leaving the light on at night is that they need a difference of night and day, just like they would have in the wild. It could disrupt their sleeping patterns, which can stress them out. I agree, go get a heater asap.

What is the lowest that the water temp drops to? What are your daytime water and basking temps? I see you're in texas, so maybe they'll be ok w/o a heater, depending of course, on the answers to those questions
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:00 pm   

I live in south florida and my water temp stays at 72-75 degrees. I don't really need a heater. :wink:
shady1616

Post Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:04 pm   

your lucky lol, when i first got my heater I was so confused because it wouldnt keep it at 73-80 it either went too high or too low, I finally got it to work right.
I have 8 cats at my house, 1 dog, 1 fish, and 2 RES turtles, what more could I want?
LuvOfTurtles7290

Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:35 pm   

Thanks to all the helpful replies. The water temp gets to about 70-72 at night and about 75-78 during the day which I think is okay due to all the info Ive read on water temp. I will turn off the light at night cause I don't want to disprupt there sleeping pattern. Being in mid-south texas it is pretty warm and humid at times so I think were okay there. I was worried about the temp at night because we live in an Apartment with central air and was not sure what to keep it on.lol know I know we need to accomodate them first, then us!! Thanks again. ~SweetJean~
~SweetJean~

Return to Habitat - Indoor