General Care Discussion :: CT Ban on the Importation of All Reptiles

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 1:40 pm   CT Ban on the Importation of All Reptiles

Not sure where this goes, so I'm putting it under General Discussion--I was at a Petsmart last night and noticed a big sign that said the Dept. of Environmental Protection had banned the importation of all reptiles until further notice (reptiles from local breeders are OK). None of the staff I asked knew why. I'm wondering--does anyone know if their state has a similar ban and why? (I later went to a nearby Petco and didn't notice any such sign, but I suspect Petsmart has more on the ball than Petco does.)
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:42 am   

Hi, I was in Petsmart today and didn't see any signs posted...in Ohio
"2 Res (Franklin & Nala) Toy Poodle (Maddie) & 3 Kids"
TurtleMom

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:10 am   

We were at the Petsmart in our area a week or so ago and I saw nothing. I know the lady there said that they don't carry snakes in any Petsmart but they do carry other reptiles.

I did a search online about this.. and came up with this article. http://www.hsus.org/press_and_publications/humane_bookshelf/reptiles_as_pets_an_examination_of_the_trade_in_live_reptiles_in_the_united_states.html It seems from the little bit of research I did, that its not something new, that its some thing the Humane Society has been looking to do for many years. You have to pay for the actual "report" but there are a number of articles regarding reptiles at the bottom of the page. Again, from what little I've read it seems that they not only want to ban the importation of them, but allowing them as pets in general.. and guess what sweet little pet they use as an example. You got it.. the Red-Eared Sliders. I noticed a few sites that have some sort of petition to sign. I need to do a bit more investigating on this. All the more reason to make sure you take very good care of your pet and how you handle them.
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:34 am   

Ok, I found a copy of the press release which was done about the ban. As I said, this isn't anything new, this release was from September 2001.

http://www.wnyherp.org/resources/legal-issues/HSUSBan.php

Maybe Petsmart posted it because they have direct dealings with the Humane Societies. I know ours has the Humane Society and other pet rescue places there every weekend. They do not sell kittens/puppies at all. So perhaps this is what that sign is all about.
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:36 am   

Thanks, Carol, for the link. I found an interesting article on the sell of baby turtles from it.
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:45 am   

Yeah marissa, I live in CT too, and I saw a similair sign at a local shop called AllPets. I signed a petition to try to stop it, but that's really all we can do. Banning reptiles would be a horrible thing!! I really hope that this doesn't actually come to law....
1.0.0 RES - Leonardo - 4.75"
Brianthedog18

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:08 am   

From the initial post, it sounded more like a health reason - especially if it is a temporary ban.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:41 am   

I'll ask Petsmart if the ban is still in effect the next time I go there. I'm happy to see that the Petco near me, which used to sell sliders, hasn't had them in quite a while.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:42 am   

We're planning a trip to Petco.. I'll check it out.. its the first time we've been there.
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:25 am   

I found a similar article, but it is from 2001:
http://ens-newswire.com/ens/sep2001/2001-09-06-09.asp
Oddly enough, they only list reptiles as carriers of the salmonella virus.:?
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:39 pm   

We went to Petco and Petsmart today... We ran into a lady looking for an RES and the worker at Petco said they don't sell them and about the 4" rule.. blah blah. I asked the lady what it was she was looking for and explained it a bit better. The Petco worker did say how most people have no clue at the requirements for owning a turtle and that most of them die because of the owners inexperience and lack of knowledge.

I told the lady what they really need and how much I've spent on my 2 turtles in the past year and her eyes got kind of wide. She mentioned about how when she was a kid (she was around my age) how they kept then in the little plastic container with the palm tree. I said yep and I bet you they didn't live long either. Anyway, I told her to come on this site and check out the information for how to care for one properly. (do I get a commission for the adveristing??) The worker there also said that PA (not sure if any other state is going to do this or not) is trying to pass a law requiring reptile owners to get a test to see if their pet has salmonella.. I just laughed. I said well that's a waste.. all reptiles do, its part of their digestive system. So are they going to make us stop eating chicken too?? She just looked at me.. lol I saw no signs like marisa said she saw in her local Petco, and none at the Petsmart either. Although they have no RES there at this time, but they did have plenty of other reptiles. (just no snakes ... thank god!!)

For the record.. I like Petsmart much better than Petco and their prices are much much better. Got the grand daughter a 10 gallon tank with light for $24.00. Petco wanted $14 just for the tank :)
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:48 pm   

I always liked Petsmart better the Petco, no I haven't seen anything, but the Petco here sells them.
TexasJagsFan

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:35 am   

If I remember correctly, there have been a few protests about animal treatment at Petco. I should search for it.. but its late :)

In NY, there are a lot of stores called Petland Discounts, which is some sort of franchise, I think. Anyway the one Petco I went to by Union Sq was very nice but I prefer the rundown local shop anyway, since its on my way home. Besides I only buy feeder fish and the occasional treats for my little guys.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:12 am   

Testing for salmonella isn't reliable--an animal might test negative, but since the bacteria is carried in the intestine and is shed from the intestines in times of stress or illness, it still could be present, just not "active." When prior to bringing Tilly back from Tokyo with me, I went to a herp vet, who examined him and gave me a health certificate saying he was in good health (didn't know if it was required to bring him into the U.S., but wanted to have it just in case). The certificate also said he was free of salmonella, which was a joke.

I always preferred Petsmart to Petco until they started with those loyalty cards. Now they're pretty much equal in my eyes, but Petsmart does carry some things Petco doesn't and they're prices are generally cheaper. (But I do like the clearance table that Petco sometimes has--they've got one now where everything is $1; it's mostly for cats and dogs, but I was able to get a few turtle products there as well.) I also like Petcos crickets better than Petsmart (they seem to live longer).
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:34 am   

To me, Petsmart fish seem to last longer then Petco's. I stopped buying fish from them a long time ago, I just buy from local stores, and the fish live like 2 or 3 years. One fish even lived to like 7.
TexasJagsFan

Return to General Care Discussion