General Care Discussion :: Sudden 23 year old RES death -Devastated & need some answers

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:59 pm   Sudden 23 year old RES death -Devastated & need some answers

Hi everyone, as the title says, I shockingly found my beautiful 23-year-old male red-eared slider dead at the bottom of his tank today. I'm devastated since I've cared for him since I was around 7 or 8 years old, and I'm now 30. He has literally ALWAYS been there, and i never thought he would be the first one to go. I've always imagined him to be around until i was like 50 or so. I'm not sure of his exact age when I rescued him in from a classmate at school, so I assume he must have been 1-2 at that time (he was tinnyy, just bigger than a size of a coin). I would be grateful for any insights into what might have happened, as I'm really blaming myself.

He seemed healthy last night, swimming as usual, and I didn't notice any signs of disease. I know about the potential illnesses like respiratory infections, septicemia, shell rot, and others that turtles can suffer from. I found him at the bottom of his sand-filled tank with one of his front limbs in the sand and his eyes wide open. No swelling around eyes, looked very normal.

Here's some details about his living environment:

- His tank was 120cm x 60 cm x 60 cm = which contained around 350 liters of water or around 95 US Gallons.
- I used an EHEIM classic 600 filter and his custom built aquarium included a built-in sump filter where I also kept some plants, like hornwort for additional filtration.
- The water was heated, with a temperature of about 30-32°C.
- I allowed some algae to grow in the aquarium on purpose, as I like how it looks and it helps filter excess nitrates. There was algae on the back/sides of the glass, but never on the turtle's shell.
- My turtle basked regularly. He had a hang-on-top basking area with a ramp, though he rarely climbed up on his own. So, I made sure to place him there to bask every few days, using a reptile heat lamp and an Arcadia PROt5 UVB light. The basking area was about 32-34°C.
- The water's pH was about 7.4, and Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates were all at 0 ppm.
- I fed him every 2-3 days, and he also ate some algae and snails that he found in the tank. His primary food was "Zoo Med aquatic turtle food maintenance formula," and I occasionally gave him green beans, zucchini, and other vegetables.

He is currently in a small box and I'm not really sure what to do with him, and it's just a little bit too much right now. I just hope he did not suffer, and i kinda wish i fed him a little bit more, until his heart's desire. :msgreen:
Last edited by Ocd on Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ocd

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:29 pm   Re: Sudden 23 year old RES death -Devastated & need some ans

Sorry to here about your loss! I'm not sure what could have caused such a sudden death that did not involve trauma from an injury. It sounds like he went peacefully, which I hope is of some comfort. If you know of a vet, you can ask for a necropsy (autopsy for an animal) though I'm not sure if you want to do that. Might need to place him in the refrigerator until that appointment. RIP little guy.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:01 pm   Re: Sudden 23 year old RES death -Devastated & need some ans

Thank you Steve, i'm heartbroken! He was housed alone, so i'm not sure what could have caused trauma or injury, there was some drift wood at the bottom of the tank, i'm not sure if that could have somehow injured him, there didn't seem to be any physical injuries. Could it have been old age? I'd like to think so, but deep down i don't believe it because i was convinced he was going to be in my Will when i'm old and grey.
Ocd

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:18 am   Re: Sudden 23 year old RES death -Devastated & need some ans

Their lifespans can vary wildly, 23 years is a very full life of swimming, basking and eating. I don't think he could've asked for more. We do get inexplicably attached to them and I can understand your disbelief, especially after 2 decades of friendship. Again, sorry for your loss!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:58 am   Re: Sudden 23 year old RES death -Devastated & need some ans

Thank you, that is very comforting to hear.. appreciate it...
I found him with his eyes open but he was at the bottom in his usual sleep position so i do hope he did pass peacefully in his sleep... I think the mot shocking part is that... i have 2 cats and a dog... I've always dreaded the day they would die.. and i've played it in my head... with my RES however, i just never really imagined him passing... he was always a constant...that part is the hardest to get over... thinking about where to bury him now
Ocd

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:56 pm   Re: Sudden 23 year old RES death -Devastated & need some ans

To be honest, it's probably the best way to go for any creature. At home in familiar settings. No one stressed and worried about their health. Quick and during their sleep.

As for where to bury him, I'm sure you'll find somewhere thoughtful. Make sure it's deep enough to keep curious animals from disturbing the area.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion