General Care Discussion :: Melanistic RES with white spots or shell rot?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:44 pm   Melanistic RES with white spots or shell rot?

How big is your turtle? 12 year old male, about 9 inches x 6 inches (shell)
How long have you had it? 9 years

What is the water temperature? 78.5
Did you use a thermometer? yes, I have a digital installed
Are you using a water heater? Not this time of year
How much water is in there? 350 gallons
Are you using a water conditioner? Seachum Pond Prime
Are you using any filtration? 2 800 GPH pumps with large filters

What is the basking temperature? today, about 85-90
Is there a basking light? outdoor
Is there a basking platform that is easy to climb on? yes, rock formation in pond with large sand beach
What kind is it or what is it made out of? Natural shale and rock
Is there a UVB light? Indoors, yes

What have you been trying to feed it? Minnows weekly, shrimp, romaine lettuce, peas and naturally growing algae
When was the last time your turtle ate? Today

How big is the tank/pond/enclosure? about 12feet x 15 feet
Is the tank near a window? Outdoor
Is the tank in a room with a lot of activity? Quiet backyard

Have you read the Basic Care section? Yes
Have you searched the forums for similar situations? Yes

Is there any other unusual activity/symptoms? No, he is eating and acting normal. He is very friendly and loves to be with us.

Melanistic RES with white spots or shell rot?
Hey everyone! I'm so glad I found this forum. I have a 12 year old male RES who lives in an outdoor pond with goldfish. Here in AZ, it's getting over 100 F degrees and I'm getting ready to take him indoors to his 90 gallon pond for the next 3 months, but he still sleeps at night in his pond. He doesn't sleep otherwise. Water is around 70 to 85 degrees, so he'll have to sleep indoors for July and August.

I change 60 gallons of 300 gallon pond every week. Ammonia is 0 or .25 ppm at the highest. Nitrates are 5 to 20ppm, and if 20 I do a water change immediately.
I am a bit overstocked in goldfish, but plan on a new pond in September. T-Rex never eats any fish in his pond. Lol.

My female is 25 years old and lives in a 400 gallon pond far from him, but still manages to make visits. They get along, with supervision, lol. She has no signs or symptoms on her shell.

About 2 years ago, my male started turning black (melanistic), and the last few months thereafter developed white spots on his shell. Now, it seems to be progressing. We have super hard water in the desert, and I clean him with a toothbrush every 2 or 3 weeks to remove slight hard water buildup, but it has never been a problem.

Now, the white spots have progressed and it does not come off with a soft toothbrush. I have used betadine for the past 3 days and dry docked him indoors for 3 to 4 hours. Since I applied betadine, there are more white spots and it appears they are spreading. Also, he may have a reddish tint due to betadine treatment in the photos.

There is no odor to his shell, no soft spots or cracking noted. I've never seen bleeding or pus draining. No open areas. He basks every day in full sun and his water temp is under 80 degrees during the day and never less than 70 degrees in the winter.

Does it look like shell rot to anyone?
Attachments
T 1 resize.jpeg
T2 Resize.jpeg
MyTRex

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:03 pm   Re: Melanistic RES with white spots or shell rot?

It's likely the start of some fungus growth. It's great that you are very observant and willing to act fast. The best treatment is silver sulfadiazine cream and works quickly with most types of fungus.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:57 am   Re: Melanistic RES with white spots or shell rot?

Hello and thank you for your help, Steve. I will get sulfadiazine cream and start applying it ASAP. It does look like fungus the more I look at it. Do I apply it daily or does it come with instructions?
Deb
MyTRex

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:56 pm   Re: Melanistic RES with white spots or shell rot?

Have a place to dry dock him. It's usually easiest and least stressful to do it overnight. Some place dry, dark, clean and safe. A large box, a closet, etc. Wait until the shell is dry and put on a small dab where the fungus is. A cotton swap to apply it will do.... put on a very thin layer. In the morning, wipe off any excess and put him back into the pond. Repeat for a few days. You are treating this at a very early point and that should make it significantly easier for you.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:06 pm   Re: Melanistic RES with white spots or shell rot?

Wow! That makes total sense! I've been treating him during the day and stressing him out. Thank you so much for all your help, I have a dry, clean and dark dog pond to place him in overnight. Thank you so much Steve. You are the Bomb. I really appreciate you and your sharing of obvious extensive experience and caring for my little guy. Have a great evening. Thanks again.
Deb
MyTRex

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:09 pm   Re: Melanistic RES with white spots or shell rot?

Sorry, not "dog pond" I meant Dog Pool, it's portable and high enough to keep him safe overnight, in the house. LOL
MyTRex

Post Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:01 am   Re: Melanistic RES with white spots or shell rot?

lol, you're welcome. If it helps, they like complete darkness and you can leave a dry/clean shirt or towel and he'll burrow under it. It might get poop or pee on it, so keep that in consideration.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion