General Care Discussion :: RES not basking

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:11 pm   RES not basking

Hello,

I have 2 RES and they're about 2 inches long and they don't seem to bask at all. I have a camera in their basking area set for motion and nothing pops up. Any suggestions? I've had them for about 4 months and they used to bask a bit but not so much recent weeks. I've also tried putting a treat now and then in the basking area to get them to come up there but they take the treat and run back in. The area is a above tank basking area also. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
aznchris

Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:09 am   Re: RES not basking

Is it warm enough to entice them? Do you have a picture of the setup?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:24 am   Re: RES not basking

Hi I've checked the temperature and the basking area surface temperature 95 degrees however using a water thermometer and leaving it in the area is about 90 degrees. The basking lamp i have also does not have any temperature setting as well. any help is appreciated. Also to note the turtles are about 2 inches possibly a little over. i haven't measured them lately.
Attachments
image0.jpeg
aznchris

Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:43 pm   Re: RES not basking

What's the water temperature? I see you're using one of the digital probe thermometers... they are not very reliable or accurate, I'd pick up an alternative.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:43 pm   Re: RES not basking

I use a water thermometer also the one with a metal tip and i stick it in the water also to confirm. Currently it's 78.9 degrees
aznchris

Post Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:30 am   Re: RES not basking

It's not unusual for them to bask less during the winter months. If you want to try some more encouragement, I would move the lamp closer to the edge of the ramp. Covering the sides of the tank usually helps too, though I'm not sure if it could be the ramp. Do they have an easy time getting up there?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:03 am   Re: RES not basking

Hi Yes the ramp is secure and the water level is high enough where they can swim and walk up easily. what do you mean covering the sides of the tank? or do you mean the basking area?
aznchris

Post Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:34 am   Re: RES not basking

The ramp may be too steep and/or slick for them to get up. I zip tied a piece of plastic egg crate from Lowe's to the ramp so our YBS would have something with some traction.
Longhorn

Post Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:21 pm   Re: RES not basking

the ramp comes with grips for them i believe but currently one has been starting to bask a little more and the other follows in and out since i put like a treat to entice them and i moved the lamp closer to the edge of the ramp as suggested. hopefully they bask more going forward. Thank you everyone!
aznchris

Return to General Care Discussion