General Care Discussion :: Filstar XP4 dieing

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:03 pm   Filstar XP4 dieing

Getting a leak in the top of my XP4. Probably going to have to replace. Have 40 long now. Have a 75 to upgrade to with a top basking area. Any recommendation on a good cannister filter for $200 or less. Off hand I see the Penn-Plax 1500 Elite, Fluval 307, or Marineland 360. I guess none will use my XP4 supplies?
Kabutotx

Post Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:12 pm   Re: Filstar XP4 dieing

Do you know exactly where the leak is? It's possible it just needs a new seal. From the filters you mentioned, I would lean towards the Penn Plax or even a Eheim canister filter. You're not far off from a Fluval FX4 filter as well.

As for the supplies, the foam is sized for the XP filters, though it can be trimmed to fit other filters. Most other media is bagged and can fit into other baskets.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:37 pm   Re: Filstar XP4 dieing

It is leaking in the output tube inside the housing. I took off the top and tried some JB waterweld on the crack but it didn't help. Reina show a new head unit for $111, if their site is correct. Might be better to just get a new filter since Reina probably won't make parts anymore.

I also see Big Als has the Eheim Pro 4+ 600 on sale for $260. I guess to make way for the new 5 series.
Kabutotx

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:57 am   Re: Filstar XP4 dieing

That roughly seems like it's average price, so I would not think there is major savings there. https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B01B133UHY
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion