General Care Discussion :: Dry spot & white spots on shell

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:38 pm   Dry spot & white spots on shell

Hi everyone,

I have a 14 year old RES, Mabel, but I've noticed recently that she has some dry skin on the top of her head. It does not bother here at all, but if there is something I can do to hydrate the area that would be great.

Also, she has some spots on her shell (no photos right now as I am at work), that I believe are from a fungal infection. She had one previously and it was treated with cream and dry docking. I am prepared to do that again but I was wondering why it may have come back?

She is currently in an 80G tank with 3 separate filtration systems and I check her water quality weekly.

Any recommendations?

I've attached a photo of my little beauty, for tax.

Thanks in advance :)
victoria&mabel

Post Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:45 pm   Re: Dry spot & white spots on shell

How dry is it? It's somewhat normal if she's been basking for lengthy periods. Fungus is very persistent, even in good setups. 15 years ago there were not many cases but now it's very common. My guess it's a highly infectious strain but not sure how it's spread.

You picture is not loading :|
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:48 pm   Re: Dry spot & white spots on shell

It's dry enough that she has some peeling skin! She tries to knock it off but her foot can't reach the top of her head lol.

As for the fungus, I will just treat it again and hope for the best! I am looking at getting her some substrate, plants, and fish in the near future so I would not want to bring in anything that she could harm.

Weird that my photo did not attach! not sure how to do it in the comments!
victoria&mabel

Post Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:32 pm   Re: Dry spot & white spots on shell

Is the skin peeling? They don’t usually shed on the top parts of their head. Is it a thin layer of skin? For treatment, it’s best to get everything thing in order first. Fungus is harder to treat when it comes back, sometimes a different medication is required.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion