General Care Discussion :: Unmated RES laid eggs of all different sizes

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:14 am   Unmated RES laid eggs of all different sizes

Hi folks, hoping someone can let me know if this is an issue. I have an eight year old female red eared slider. I had previously read that if she was unmated, it was fine to let her lay her eggs in the water. That seems to have been fine in the past. But this spring, when she started showing signs that she was going to lay eggs (acting frantic, trying to climb out of her tank), I did some more research and read that even unmated turtles need to be provided a nest to lay their eggs.

So we built a nice nest for her and the next time she acted like she was ready to lay eggs, we put her in there and let her do her business for a few hours.

Afterwards, I collected the eggs to dispose of them and saw that they were all very different sizes. There was about five or six of them. The smallest was the size of a tiny pebble, it would have easily fit through a regular drinking straw. The largest was quite bigger than I was expecting, closer to the size of a duck egg. Maybe an inch and a half long. There was also one that seemed misshapen, wide in the middle, tapering on the sides, and the flaring out again on the edges. That might be hard to visualize, but it was something like this: oOo

I'm glad she laid her eggs so readily, and she's been very calm and normal since (eating well, basking, etc.), but the huge variety in the eggs made me concerned. Anyone know is this is normal?
cobwebmustardseed

Post Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:58 pm   Re: Unmated RES laid eggs of all different sizes

Nests are natural and instinctive for them. Some will casually be able to lay eggs in water, but it's usually when they can no longer retain them. The degree of different sizes is something to keep an eye on, as I think it would either indicate that she's been retaining the eggs for long periods or that her ovaries are very active. How often does she lay eggs?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:10 pm   Re: Unmated RES laid eggs of all different sizes

steve wrote:Nests are natural and instinctive for them. Some will casually be able to lay eggs in water, but it's usually when they can no longer retain them. The degree of different sizes is something to keep an eye on, as I think it would either indicate that she's been retaining the eggs for long periods or that her ovaries are very active. How often does she lay eggs?

Thanks for the response! She usually lays eggs about once a year in the spring time.
cobwebmustardseed

Post Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:48 pm   Re: Unmated RES laid eggs of all different sizes

That’s pretty good. Hopefully she’s done for the year.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion