General Care Discussion :: Things you use to help your turtle scratch.

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:28 pm   Things you use to help your turtle scratch.

I was just wondering some of the things some of you use that helps your turtle scratch their shells on. Mine has been tearing up his tank trying to find anything to scratch his itch on and it's very annoying :lol:
Into_the_Mystic

Post Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:28 pm   Re: Things you use to help your turtle scratch.

Is this for Skimmer ? If so he's what about 6 now ?

Tearing up the tank , he may be going into a different faze , may be trying to tell you he wants things in a different place. Watch were he puts things. And yes looking for a strach toy too.
Lava rock with some size to them to match his size , also helps hold good bacteria.
Driftwood that has some edges on it , also help's control PH.
Any decorations he will use.
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:27 am   Re: Things you use to help your turtle scratch.

I have one of the resin platforms that my turtle likes to use. Sadly I can't use it with my male RES as he likes to aggressively bite it.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:56 pm   Re: Things you use to help your turtle scratch.

litefoot wrote:Is this for Skimmer ? If so he's what about 6 now ?

Tearing up the tank , he may be going into a different faze , may be trying to tell you he wants things in a different place. Watch were he puts things. And yes looking for a strach toy too.
Lava rock with some size to them to match his size , also helps hold good bacteria.
Driftwood that has some edges on it , also help's control PH.
Any decorations he will use.

Ha! Yes he he and funny you should remember him.

He "puts" things" wherever they end up after scratching on it. He doesn't bask much and never really has. I have the right set up and tem, but he just doesn't seem to care to bask too often. Of course he very well may be when I am away during the day, but I doubt it.

Thanks for the tips!
Into_the_Mystic

Post Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:57 pm   Re: Things you use to help your turtle scratch.

steve wrote:I have one of the resin platforms that my turtle likes to use. Sadly I can't use it with my male RES as he likes to aggressively bite it.

Resin platforms? You mean the ones that stick to the side of the tank and float?
Into_the_Mystic

Post Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:34 pm   Re: Things you use to help your turtle scratch.

It looks like a trapezoid and have nice open areas on the bottom.

They new ones with more elaborate designs, but I don't trust my turtles around those since they seem kind of small.
Attachments
a5353c63da4b6121b2a9115488a4a1e2.jpg
a5353c63da4b6121b2a9115488a4a1e2.jpg (6.1 KiB) Viewed 5559 times
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:20 pm   Re: Things you use to help your turtle scratch.

steve wrote:It looks like a trapezoid and have nice open areas on the bottom.

They new ones with more elaborate designs, but I don't trust my turtles around those since they seem kind of small.

Interesting. I shall have to give that a try.
Into_the_Mystic

Return to General Care Discussion