General Care Discussion :: Turtle not shedding scutes

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:57 pm   Turtle not shedding scutes

I think my turtle may be retaining his scutes. Each section of his shell is very shiny and it’s been like this for over 3 months. His water is usually between 75-80 and his basking is at 90. Also lately he seems to want to swim for 3-4 days and then bask slot for 2 and repeat the process. Any explanations or suggestions ?
Attachments
DCC03450-2379-47A4-8D7A-E36389091A54.jpeg
Benjamin

Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:34 am   Re: Turtle not shedding scutes

Next time select your topic under "new post" you attached your question to a topic from 2009. This way you will get more advice.

Yes he has some retained scutes. Adjust his diet to a well balance good mixture of veggies every day and protein every other day. Also vary the other day protein with different types , don't just use one brand or type. I would also add on those days some wheat germ , has been proven to me to help with shedding . Hikari wheat-germ formula for Koi works great for turtles too. Look at diets on the forum that others offer and read any comments that go along with them. Your turtle is not a baby anymore it's a juvenile and should be on at least 50% or more veggies. There needs change at each stage of there life. After a few sheds his shell will correct itself and look better . This will not happen over night , it takes time. Any photo's of the whole setup ? Offering the best setup one can will only help.

The basking , modify/brace/adjust his ramp some , make it as easy as you can to use. From the picture it looks more vertical , also giving him some more water will help. Turtles love to swim just as much as to bask. Yes turtles are great climbers but if ramp too hard to use he will not bask the way he needs to.
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:27 am   Re: Turtle not shedding scutes

Thank you I’ll try out that powder, I normally feed him red leaf lettuce and try to mix in other greens but he’s a picky one and that’s for two days then I give him zoo meds maintain a formula as well as reptomin food sticks. I also try to feed him curdle bone weekly I’ve heard that helps as well
Attachments
D0A76CC7-61B2-49C0-98F5-C69C37679351.jpeg
Benjamin

Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:41 pm   Re: Turtle not shedding scutes

First photo had less water in tank to me. Second full view water level is good but ramp is concaved . Maybe just something to brace it so it doesn't move down when he gets on it ?
What type bulbs used , looks very bright on basking area ? (90* is good if thermometer used is accurate) ? A larger basking would be better ( one that has several temp ranges so he can pick the best spot he want's ) or move fixture a little to one corner of it so to offer a cooler area if he just wants to dry off without heating up.

[I'll try out that powder ] ??? this is the wheat germ I'm talking about : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002 ... UTF8&psc=1

The cuttlebone make sure you are removing the backing on it , turtles have trouble digesting the backing part. Use search box to read up on how to remove it on forum or google for images/videos .
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:24 am   Re: Turtle not shedding scutes

I split this topic, so we have a fresh post to start. Can you post a picture of the shell when it is dry?
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion