General Care Discussion :: Possible Infection?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:27 pm   Possible Infection?

Hello All! A few weeks ago, Shelldon seemed to have some loose skin on her head. I took a look at her today and the area seems to be white now, so it may have been a scrape. I am very concerned that it could be a skin infection or something similar. I have attached photos of what the area on the head initially looked like, and what it looks like now. I took her to the vet for a possible digestion problem at the time it was not white (the digestion problem has been solved now), and the vet said it did not look serious at the time. I have a vet appointment scheduled for Wednesday, but any information is good information in the meantime. I am very hesitant to use betadine or other medicine since it is so close to the eye.

The skin was like a "flap" initially, and I left it as is, so it could be something as simple as "the skin fused back on" like a band-aid or a scab or something like that. I am worried about the possibility of infection though.

Thank you

What is the water temperature? 78 Degrees F
Did you use a thermometer? Yes
Are you using a water heater? Yes
How much water is in there? About 23.3 Gallons
Current Tank: 40 Gallon Tank Breeder
Tank Width: 17 In. W

Total Tank Depth: Around 17 In.H

Water Depth: 10 In. (Add 4 In. to Carapace Length)

Length: About 48 In L

Are you using a water conditioner? Yes
Are you using any filtration? Yes

What is the basking temperature? 88.2 Degrees F
Is there a basking light? Yes

Is there a basking platform that is easy to climb on? Yes
What kind is it or what is it made out of? Oasis Turtle Ramp (Large)
Is there a UVB light? Yes

What have you been trying to feed it? Vegetables and Pellets
When was the last time your turtle ate? This afternoon

How big is the tank/pond/enclosure?
Is the tank near a window? No
Is the tank in a room with a lot of activity? No

Have you read the Basic Care section? Yes
Have you searched the forums for similar situations? Yes

Is there any other unusual activity/symptoms? No
Attachments
Now.jpg
What it looks like now Sept 10
Initial.jpg
What it looked like August 31
Gerstein

Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:37 am   Re: Possible Infection?

Looks like a scrape... skin is fine underneath? From the picture, its OK and I don't think I would worry about it. Maybe check to see if something in the tank caused it?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:43 am   Re: Possible Infection?

Ah! Oopsie! May have overreacted a tad XD. Perhaps I will send the pictures to the vet instead of a full appointment.

As far as what could have caused it, I noticed it after I took her out of her carrying case during a full water change, so perhaps she withdrew into her shell in a funny manner.. Something similar happened, when she was trying to escape from the container I previously had her in for water changes (A large plastic tub of water, she made it out and withdrew into her head funny). The scrape was deeper and I was very worried and took her to the vet and they said it would heal okay, and it did.
Gerstein

Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:34 am   Re: Possible Infection?

Check to see if the nuchal scute is overgrown... it's the tiny one directly behind the head and can be a bit pointy if it hasn't shed.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:06 pm   Re: Possible Infection?

Shelldon's vet saw the pictures and came to the same conclusion, and deep down, I think I knew it too. Just anxiety taking the wheel XD. Seems to be simply some dead skin sloughing off. Looking at the picture, it seems like a new skin layer is coming in, so this seems to be normal. I will be monitoring it per the norm.

As far as Shelldon's nuchal scute goes, It doesn't seem to be overgrown in anyway, looking at it, it seemed to be rather smooth. I'll feel it myself Sunday while I change her water.

Also, an update on Shelldon's digestion: Couldn't be better. I saw she had pooped when I got home today (A big poop! XD). And, per the norm she was eating it. Preeeeety much back to normal XD
Gerstein

Post Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:04 am   Re: Possible Infection?

Yup, all good then :)
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion