General Care Discussion :: Tiny scab

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:31 pm   Tiny scab

Hello!
I recently recieved this RES as her previous family didnt have the means of taking care of her at her current size.

From what i know she is about 5 and i do not believe she was given proper lighting growing up as well as her only "dry" spot before me was a floating barge.

In any event i have had her for about 4 months now and she is an amazing pet. Super full of energy, great appetite, poops every morning very normal, seems like a very happy little girl.

Ever since i got her she had this little scab or hole lookin thing and i figured the proper set up and her shell would be good as knew. As you can see in the pic she is shedding but that little scab hasn't changed at all since getting her.

Is it something i should be more concerned about? Any treatment i can give her? Like i said besides that she seems like a perfect and healthy RES.

Thanks
Tom
GingerRES

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:51 pm   Re: Tiny scab

Hi Tom, can you post a picture of the scab?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:42 pm   Re: Tiny scab

picture for reference
Attachments
0.jpg
GingerRES

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:42 pm   Re: Tiny scab

by her rear left foot
GingerRES

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:39 pm   Re: Tiny scab

Do you mean that pit? Her shedding is not that good, though it should get better with more basking and a better diet. I would clean that area (use a soft toothbrush) then take a closer look.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:16 pm   Re: Tiny scab

Yeah that pit was worrying me. yeah her shedding has taken some time. again i think it was mainly because she was kept in relatively poor care prior to being housed with me. as soon as i put her in a proper set up she started to shed but its been taking a long time. i have been giving her calcium floaters (turtle bone) and i feed her zoo meds gourmet repti sticks with cranberries and red shrimp. as far as personality goes she is very active and smart, has a big appetite and poops every morning like clock work. i have a good zoo med canister filter and do water changes every few weeks, should i add a supplement to the water? or just clean with a toothbrush and mild soap? i also heard of using betadine
GingerRES

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:57 am   Re: Tiny scab

You can dilute some betadine and use that as a cleaning solution w/a a toothbrush. No need to add any supplements to her water, but you will need a better filter down the line.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:08 am   Re: Tiny scab

Okay great thank you. Will try that and see if it gets better. However i think more worrying she hasnt laid eggs since i got her. She is supposedly around 5 years old.
GingerRES

Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:57 am   Re: Tiny scab

Females kept alone usually don't lay eggs.... but maybe scout out a location if she ever has to.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion