General Care Discussion :: My turtle is acting weird, and I need help.

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:06 pm   My turtle is acting weird, and I need help.

I don't know if I'm treating my turtle right because he is semi-violent.

Now I want to begin by stating that I do not have a turtle filter and was using a normal fish filter for a while until I realized I needed a turtle filter, we are currently working on getting my turtle one. Either way, we occasionally change his water. Also, we don't have a heating lamp, we have a normal lamp that produces a lot of heat, which is right over the tank.

Other than that I do not remember mistreating my turtle. According to what I read they try to bite your finger if they are mistreated, but I had never treated him badly. He would constantly look for my attention but then he tries to bite my finger for some reason. I treat him gently when I let him out of the tent, even though I do remember ripping his shedding scute out, but that was a LONG time ago, and I'm not exactly sure if that hurts or not.

I feed him reptomin but at one time I gave him meat. Ever since that he began to constantly look for my attention and try to bite my finger (which he was scared of at first) through the glass and eat food like a savage.

Can someone please tell what is happening with my turtle because this is really wierd. Is it the meat? Is it sickness? What could this be?

Does he want meat? Is he gluttonous and just wants a ton of food? Is he trying to get out? I don't know what is happening with my turtle please help!
Callie Ohpee

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:41 am   Re: My turtle is acting weird, and I need help.

Most of us use canister filters, not a turtle specific filter.... don't waste your money on turtle specific equipment and accessories. How big is the turtle? How big is the tank?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:33 am   Re: My turtle is acting weird, and I need help.

My turtle is pretty big. probably a big bigger than my fist, the tank is around 1.8 feet high, 2 feet wide, and 3 feet long.
Callie Ohpee

Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:28 am   Re: My turtle is acting weird, and I need help.

Most RES get pretty excited during feeding time, and some are just pretty aggressive overall... their personalities are surprisingly different. For most protein, stick with pellets. Some live treats like crickets, worms or minnows is also acceptable. Do not just give him "meat"... and never overfeed them (which is easy to do).
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion