General Care Discussion :: Turtle Fighting vs Playing... Seperation Anxiety?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:12 pm   Turtle Fighting vs Playing... Seperation Anxiety?

Hey everyone!

I have 2 RES, 18 and 15 years old.
They have been together their whole life.

Lately Ive noticed the younger one "attacking" the older one, pinning him into a corner with his mouth open and snapping at his shell.
This has happened twice. I always separate them into different tanks. The younger one is more aggressive, and tries to bit when being taken out of the tank.

Whenever I separate the 2, the older one will act weird, and swim in place against the wall of the tank for long periods of time, looking at the other turtle on the other side of the room.

Both turtles are small for their age (about 5in) and are in a 100 gal tank.

What should I do? Theyve been together for so long I dont want to separate them.

Thanks in advance!!!
milesplit

Post Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:29 pm   Re: Turtle Fighting vs Playing... Seperation Anxiety?

I would keep a close on them but will separate if it continues since the aggression escalates. I'm surprised you've successfully kept them together for that long.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:56 am   Re: Turtle Fighting vs Playing... Seperation Anxiety?

Thank you for your reply! Yeah its very strange. They went so long with no problems. Im probably going to find a new home for the mean one.
milesplit

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:13 pm   Re: Turtle Fighting vs Playing... Seperation Anxiety?

That sucks, they're usually well behaved when kept alone. Good luck!
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion