General Care Discussion :: how long can a bulb stay on before it hurts the turtle

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:20 pm   how long can a bulb stay on before it hurts the turtle

how long can a 100watt mercury vapor buln stay on before it becomes harmful to the turtle? will it being on all day, all night, and most of the next day harm him?

this is time sensitive
binji

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:06 pm   Re: how long can a bulb stay on before it hurts the turtle

You mean if the bulb is constantly on? In the tank, where they can get away from it, it should be fine but it will disrupt their sleep/awake patterns. They are diurnal like humans. Heat-wise... if it connected to the right fixture, it should be OK too... but it's not something I would recommend, especially if it is unsupervised.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:10 am   Re: how long can a bulb stay on before it hurts the turtle

If you need to be away for a day and a half you could use one of those ceramic heat bulbs so as not to disturb the turtle's sleep/wake cycle. It won't provide the necessary UVB rays but at least there will be heat over the basking area if that's your concern. Also, though I have not used one, I know you can buy power strips with timers.

Hope that helps.
zana

Return to General Care Discussion