General Care Discussion :: First Time Nesting, Need Advice Please

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:20 am   First Time Nesting, Need Advice Please

Hi all, my female RES seems to be displaying all the symptoms of being gravid - restlessness, not eating, trying to climb out of her tank. I tried to confirm she has eggs, but I have to admit I'm a novice and have no idea if I'm feeling eggs or not. I built a nesting box (rubbermaid container and topsoil) and have tried keeping her in there several hours per day, but instead of digging all she does is try to climb the sides to escape, and each time ends up on her back. I could really use some advice. Worried she will get sick if she can't lay. Thanks for your time!
Augie

Post Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:42 pm   Re: First Time Nesting, Need Advice Please

Is it warm enough to take her outside? Any locations you think you can take her to? RES usually don't like nesting boxes.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:41 pm   Re: First Time Nesting, Need Advice Please

Hi, thank you for the reply - yes, I am in Pennsylvania and it has been (mostly) warm enough that she could go outside. Do I put a pen around her, or just follow her around my property? How long should I let her wander before I give up for the day? Thank you for your time :)
Augie

Post Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:28 am   Re: First Time Nesting, Need Advice Please

She's going to want to look for dirt, not grass or lawn. So a garden might be suitable.... you can just follow her around while she looks for a spot. And you don't need to do it all day, she should have a preferred time of when and it's usually when she's restless.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:01 am   Re: First Time Nesting, Need Advice Please

Thanks, I really appreciate your time. For the past 3 days she has settled back into her normal routine - eating, basking, no restlessness. Not sure if I should be worried, but I'll keep an eye on here - If she gets very restless again I'll take her outside. Once again, thank you!
Augie

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:50 pm   Re: First Time Nesting, Need Advice Please

If she was gravid, then she might expel the eggs in the water.... even eat them before you get to it. Good luck!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:16 pm   Re: First Time Nesting, Need Advice Please

Well, you were right, today she expelled eggs in the water. I see 3 eggs in the tank (which I will remove when she's finished basking), and possibly she may have eaten some, not sure how many eggs they typically lay. Thanks so much for your advice. Despite my best efforts, Chompers decided she could handle this on her own :) Many thanks.
Augie

Post Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:28 pm   Re: First Time Nesting, Need Advice Please

Thats great she got rid of them that quickly!
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion