General Care Discussion :: Not Looking Good

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:26 am   Not Looking Good

I haven't posted much, but I own a male turtle named Lencho. Last I posted, sometime last year, I had just gotten Lencho a 60 gallon (he's about 6") tank after he'd been in 10 to 30 gallons for years. I got the canister filter and sand and bulb and home-made dock and things were great.

Now I am moving soon, and the apartment I will be living in does not allow such a tank. Especially since it is an upstairs apartment (they actually hate pets in general). I'm just stressed out thinking about what to do with Lencho. My friends either don't want a turtle or already have one and can't take another one in. My family won't care for it better than any stranger (they never have).

I could ask co-workers but that's no different than asking random people on Craigslist or eBay or something.

I don't want to have to let a random person take him in, so here's to hoping I can find him a new home with someone I know. In the meantime I'll keep pulling my hair out of my head :?
Vynzent

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:14 pm   Re: Not Looking Good

Did you mention anything to the landlord? I wouldn't mention turtles.... just ask if a "small aquarium" is OK.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:33 am   Re: Not Looking Good

I hate people who don't like pets >:(
But it won't hurt to ask. Maybe what they have in mind is a loud dog, and not a fish or turtle ?

Last resort, maybe you could consider a shelter/sanctuary. :s
PokePony

Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:49 pm   Re: Not Looking Good

Thanks guys. I've tried calling their office but they never pick up, so I'll go see them in person when I have the time. Maybe you're right PokePony, maybe they just have the policy because dogs can be noisy and cats can wander the grounds and breed (which happens where I currently live).

I did find out there's a reptile rescue in the town next to mine, and if I have to go that route I'm sure I can ask them to give my tank setup for free to whoever takes Lencho. But that's a last resort, I'm hoping I get to keep him :)
Vynzent

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:59 am   Re: Not Looking Good

You say the building does not allow the tank, do they have a no-pet policy or does the lease actually mention aquariums? I never thought of considering my turtle an extra pet and asking the landlord about it, but then again, he knows I have a dog and that the neighbor's dog basically lives here. Also, I'm sure he figured out that the cat that constantly "drops in" is mine, but didn't say anything. He saw the tank and said: Oh, is that a turtle?
Now if only he would do repairs around the appartment, he would be the ideal landlord, lol!

Anyway, if there is no specific aquarium clause, I would seriously consider asking a lawyer whether it is even considered a pet, there is lots of affordable legal advice online. I mean, it doesn't bark, it doesn't bite the mailman, it doesn't scratch or miew at night, it doesn't damage anything, am I wrong here?
JDora

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:00 am   Re: Not Looking Good

Or look into making it an emotional support pet…
JDora

Return to General Care Discussion