General Care Discussion :: Slime Coat in Water Conditioner? Please help.

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:10 pm   Slime Coat in Water Conditioner? Please help.

I have a R.E.S and began to run out of water conditoner, so I ran over to my local pet store to buy some. I found the biggest bottle, it looked good, I read some of the stuff on the bottle but not much. I get in the car and realize it says "Replaces Slime Coat and Promotes Natural Healing". I saw somewhere that the slime conditioners aren't good for turtles and I'm wondering if I can still use this? It's a big bottle and was around 20 bucks so I don't want to put it to waste. Is this slime coat a huge deal? What if I put less in my aquarium? Please someone let me know soon as I'm trying to do a 10 percent water change today.
WillyBoi

Post Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:06 pm   Re: Slime Coat in Water Conditioner? Please help.

Can you return it? We don't currently recommend any water conditioner. If you use activated carbon, it will do a better job and is safer.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:06 pm   Re: Slime Coat in Water Conditioner? Please help.

steve wrote:Can you return it? We don't currently recommend any water conditioner. If you use activated carbon, it will do a better job and is safer.

I returned it and bought a new one. Bio-boost water conditioner. Am i not supposed to use water conditioner? I need to get the chlorine out of it.
WillyBoi

Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:07 am   Re: Slime Coat in Water Conditioner? Please help.

Carbon will get rid of chlorine. Water conditioners use chemicals to neutralize it, which is why we don’t recommend it. It’s probably not harmful if used correctly but carbon is cheaper and also helps with odors and water clarity.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:48 pm   Re: Slime Coat in Water Conditioner? Please help.

If you MUST use a conditioner Seachem Prime is the safest one. Carbon is safest.
VeipaCray

Return to General Care Discussion