General Care Discussion :: Turtle trying to escape tank

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:46 am   Turtle trying to escape tank

I rescued three Turtles last spring of 2017 two red-eared sliders and one painted turtle. They were in a 75 gallon tank with nothing else. We upgraded their tank to 150 gallon with above tank basking areas and they all seem very happy. Now recently in the last approximately two weeks are largest red-eared slider started frantically swimming around the tank and attempting to get out by the Basking areas or any other way he could she haha. From what I've read it seems to me that she has eggs her eating has decreased she still will eat her some treats but no pellets or anything else. I have created a nesting box in my bedroom with a good amount of soil everything that they tell me to do and we built up the time to him being in there all day. Every time I put them back in the tank he continues with the same behavior and is driving the other two turtles crazy I think. When he's in the tank over the last approximately 5 days I've seen him doing the digging action with his back legs but he will not do the same when he's in his nesting box. I have put a basking light on one end of his nesting box since he's in there all day just wondering if anyone can help me figure out how to get this Turtle to lay his eggs this has been going on now for approximately 3 weeks I work 12-hour shift work so this is becoming very difficult and I just don't want to see him get sick because of holding on to his eggs thank you guys!!
Coco78

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:41 pm   Re: Turtle trying to escape tank

Have you tried feeling for eggs to confirm she's gravid?
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion