General Care Discussion :: My friends watched RES turtle... sudden growth?:(

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:36 am   My friends watched RES turtle... sudden growth?:(

Hello.
I got my red slider turtle back in September from a festival in Japan. He was a tiny little thing, about an inch. He would only eat little fish (that are rich in calcium) before. I went home for Xmas from Dec 21th-Jan 10th and had my friends watch him. When I came back I was surprised by how much bigger he got suddenly. His shell was no longer forest green but more a mix of light green in places. . Now it has these pyramid lumps in the middle. I been reading that means he could Be unhealthy and I’m worried.
I’m also worried if they overfed him. I used to give him about 5 little sardines a day. And they said they fed him turtle pellets in the morning, banana or strawberry pinches in the afternoon sometimes, and fish or pellets at night. They also told me they didn’t use his UVB light only his basking light.

Does the sudden growth and lumps on his shell mean he is unhealthy? :(
Yaminogame

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:03 am   Re: My friends watched RES turtle... sudden growth?:(

Yea, sounds like pyramiding. Everything you mentioned contributes to this condition. If it's not too bad, it should smooth out somewhat with a better diet.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion