General Care Discussion :: Turtle is finally home! Possible retained eggs?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:41 am   Turtle is finally home! Possible retained eggs?

Yesterday I made the journey up to NY to see my dad and finally bring my brothers turtle home to live with me permanently!! She's still adjusting but she seems to be doing well. The tank is bare-bones empty aside from filter tubes, heater, etc so I can keep better track of anything that might be coming off of or out of her body and since this is the first time she's been in a proper tank she seems to have laid an old retained egg last night! I have no idea how many retained eggs she may have but I'll be keeping a close eye on her tank for the next couple weeks until I can get her out to a vet that has experience with turtles and reptiles. The egg she laid looks pretty weird so I'm hoping she doesn't have too many? I'm not sure if she's ever laid eggs before in her life due to poor conditions and neglect but she's around 7+ years old. What happens if she's retained eggs all these years? Will she still be able to pass them now that she's going to have proper space, diet, and temperatures with a basking area?
Sam_Wolfe

Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:55 am   Re: Turtle is finally home! Possible retained eggs?

Good she's with you now ! Think she would of had health problem's by now if any retained eggs. Found this video : https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ho ... ORM=VRDGAR
Eggs can even hide in an x-ray at a vet. No matter what I built in the past (nesting area) I found my garden was always used by my Minnie being how picky they are.
Photo's are always welcome.
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:41 am   Re: Turtle is finally home! Possible retained eggs?

How was it weird? Color/texture/size?
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion