General Care Discussion :: Question about bright spots on shell (With pictures)

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:45 pm   Question about bright spots on shell (With pictures)

Hey guys,

I was looking to join a turtle forum for a while now, and now that I actually have a question I thought was the best time to join one!
So I have 2 turtles for almost 2 years now and I noticed one of them is getting bright spots on her shell. It got me a little concerned, do I have to do anything about it?
To make it easier for you guys to understand I have attached a picture of her. As you can see in the picture she has a dark shell but there is one really bright spot.

Also I have another question about the same turtle. Ever since I got her she has been kind of scared, when I pick her up she opens her mouth all the time as if she wants to bite me.
She has never actually bitten me but she snapped at my finger a few times before. She has been like this since the beginning while the male is super relaxed who likes being pet and walking around.
Is this normal and is there anything I can do to change this?

If someone could help me with my 2 questions I would be really grateful! Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Optimized-20171201_145802.jpg
turtlespot
turtlehermit2

Post Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:28 pm   Re: Question about bright spots on shell (With pictures)

Hard to know what to make of it. It does look smoother than the other scutes, any shedding recently?

As for the mouth opening, that's to let you know she doesn't like it. Get too close and she will try to bite! It can become less frequent, turtles do have different personalities and it can change a bit but not always.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:05 am   Re: Question about bright spots on shell (With pictures)

steve wrote:Hard to know what to make of it. It does look smoother than the other scutes, any shedding recently?

As for the mouth opening, that's to let you know she doesn't like it. Get too close and she will try to bite! It can become less frequent, turtles do have different personalities and it can change a bit but not always.

Hi thanks for your reply! How can I notice that she is shedding? I have never seen them shed before.
turtlehermit2

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:51 am   Re: Question about bright spots on shell (With pictures)

Shedding scutes take on a bit of golden coloring as air gets underneath it.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion