General Care Discussion :: Wild turtle

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:49 pm   Wild turtle

My uncle found a turtle at work, he cuts grass, so yeah.... He wanted to know if I could keep her/him with my other 2 turtles. I thought it was fine since Kamevwas way bigger, and have previously lived when the two small one. What I'm worried is that the new turtle has a disease, she was probably wild, that will get my other turts sick. I don't know is she is res btw. Anyone has introduced a "wild" turtle with their "domestic" turtles and had problems?

small update: you might notice she has a injury in her shell. Has dry blood.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rekItnZlyVyvDEwm2
A11D3LETE

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:26 am   Re: Wild turtle

Please do not keep wild turtles... You can treat its shell if you are worried but honestly, don't keep wild animals as pets.
PokePony

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:04 am   Re: Wild turtle

Hmm.... I said wild turtle because its not really captive, its still rather small, about 3 1/2 inches, though I think it's too late to return her outside, since the Wisconsin weather is starting to become at least 37° F at night, and she doesn't appear to be in a very healthy condition, even to hibernate. With, I might keep her separated in a different tank I have, thanks for answering PokePony

Anyone can identify what she is? Was thinking red belly cooter, but they're more close to Massachusetts. She looks like a red res without the red ears.
A11D3LETE

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:23 pm   Re: Wild turtle

Eastern painted turtle with what looks like some shell rot or infection. Looks pretty serious, I would have a vet look at it. I wouldn't be surprised if she was somenones pet at some time.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:36 pm   Re: Wild turtle

Im very bad at responding, thank you steve, sadly i couldnt take her to the vet, no money. She died unfortunately, well at least she lived with us for some time. Thank you
A11D3LETE

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:35 pm   Re: Wild turtle

Sorry to hear it :(
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion