General Care Discussion :: RES needs a new home/rescue shelter

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:40 pm   RES needs a new home/rescue shelter

A red slider was found in the parking lot of an apt. complex, it was covered dirty and probably burned from walking on the hot asphalt. I've been keeping her since for the last two days, but I do not have any resources/equipment to keep her healthy. One of her eyes is swollen and I'm not entirely sure her hind legs are working properly. I called my local rescue shelter but was heart broken to hear they don't have any room for her. I am at a loss for what to do, I'm totally broke, my friend was going to help me make the donation, I really don't have the gas money to go outside of Orange County, CA -- ( like Im' sorry this sounds so terribly pathetic, but I don't want this animal to die because of my pride, I just wanted to help it and not let it get crushed by a car)

Does anyone know of any OC shelters that could take her ( Apparently not the RROC)? Or is there a good Samaritan out there who can take her in the condition she is in?

Again many apologies for the desperation in my post, but I am in way over my head and I want the turtle to be as comfortable as possible.

( She's about 5-6 inches length)
Mai

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:05 pm   Re: RES needs a new home/rescue shelter

First of all, good on you for being a good samaritan yourself and taking in this stranded RES. It was probably released by someone, or could belong to someone in the apartment complex.

She sounds like she is in poor health. Some suggested steps:

1. Call the shelter again and explain your situation. If they still deny you, then ask where you can take the turtle, as it needs medical attention and a new home.
2. Seek medical attention for it - even if you don't have money, or if you aren't the owner. Again, explain your situation to a vet and see what they tell you or if they can help.
3. Put her/him up for adoption. This should be a last resort, as hopefully someone else with a good heart and willingness to help the turtle can take over and give it the care it needs.

In the meantime, provide her water and some sort of food, like lettuce. She is most likely very scared and stressed, but hopefully it is only temporary. Don't lose hope!
rambologic

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:30 pm   Re: RES needs a new home/rescue shelter

Thank you for the reply, I found a shelter that took her and now she's eating and has other turtle companions. It's a big relief.
Mai

Post Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:10 am   Re: RES needs a new home/rescue shelter

Great to hear it!
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion