General Care Discussion :: My healthy two year old RES suddenly quit basking

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:40 pm   My healthy two year old RES suddenly quit basking

I'm really worried about my female RES. She used to bask for hours daily on her turtle dock. I've noticed that she is never basking for about a week now. I changed the bulbs, adjusted the water level, and still nothing. Her appetite and playful behavior is unchanged. No signs of illness. The only thing I can think is maybe she feels that the dock is unstable as she is getting rather large. I ordered a new dock but what else could it be?
Seansmom04

Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:33 pm   Re: My healthy two year old RES suddenly quit basking

Are you around to see her bask every day?
rambologic

Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:55 pm   Re: My healthy two year old RES suddenly quit basking

Are the bulbs the same type? How big is she?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:42 am   Re: My healthy two year old RES suddenly quit basking

I actually am around much of the day and interact with her often. I've had her since she was the size of a silver dollar and she is super tame and very attached to me. The bulbs that I changed were just brand new versions of what I've always used a 75 watt splashproof halogen bulb for heat and UVA and a 5.0 UVB bulb. I keep the light approx 10 inches from the surface of the dock and she has always enjoyed basking. I am now trying a new dock and it seems much more secure, the Oasis large turtle dock.It arrived a few hours ago and so far she hasn't used it but she seems quite curious. I don't believe that she is sick, she eats like a piggy and swims and plays following my finger like always. I'm just hoping she basks, I took her outside for 15 min of sunshine today but of course that won't be enough, it's very hot right now and I can't even stand being outside.
Seansmom04

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:07 am   Re: My healthy two year old RES suddenly quit basking

That's weird! Could she be reaching sexual maturity and be gravid?
rambologic

Post Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:53 am   Re: My healthy two year old RES suddenly quit basking

Any changes with regards to the weather?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:02 am   Re: My healthy two year old RES suddenly quit basking

Just like no 2 people are alike, no 2 turtles are alike. My turtle doesn't like to bask much. We don't use a lamp, but she is by a window that gets direct sunlight. She will get part way out of the water sometimes, but spends most of the summer in the water. Half the time she spends winter under water, the other half on her platform. She does what she wants/needs, and is 28 years old. As long as you know your turtle is capable of getting out of the water if it wants to, I wouldn't worry.
Lisaj

Post Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:36 pm   Re: My healthy two year old RES suddenly quit basking

So true , my Piggley is like no other turtle I had. Did you raise her from a baby? Does she have a name? Any photos ? Piggley wants to say Hi ! By a window gives her light and heat but just as a note UVB rays "do not" penetrate glass. Hopefully you take her outside for the UVB now and then. Observing is the key and give a turtle what they are telling you it wants.

For first poster turtles do change up basking habits as they get older , my Piggley only bask now a days for 6-8 hours late in the day before at different times of the day.

Set up a camcorder went you are not home to see if basking then.
litefoot

Return to General Care Discussion