General Care Discussion :: Skin Shedding

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:31 pm   Skin Shedding

Hi everyone,
I am a new RES turtle owner! Up until a month ago I knew very little about these beautiful creatures. We rescued him from our neighbours driveway and because RES's are not indigenous to our area, the local wildlife refuge could not take him but they did donate a 55 gallon tank to help me get started. He has settled in nicely but recently I noticed what looks like cotton or fluff on his skin. At first I thought it might be a fungus but according to the research I've done he seems to be shedding his skin. What I can't figure out is what has caused this or how do I fix it?. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
myfriendmavis

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:06 am   Re: Skin Shedding

This is Mavis.. If you see something that doesn't look right, please let me know. I want to give him the best home/care possible. :)
myfriendmavis

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:15 am   Re: Skin Shedding

Looks very nice. If the shedding appears thin and wispy, it is normal and will be nearly invisible out of the water. There is no real way to control it, though some think that if it is excessive, it might be a water issue (not enough basking, warm temps, water quality, etc). You will want to get both the heat and UVB over the basking area.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:51 am   Re: Skin Shedding

Thank you so much Steve. So you're suggesting that both lamps have to over the basking area and not the tank itself? Should I be using smaller dome then so they both fit? What wattage for a heat lamp? and what size uvb?
myfriendmavis

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:01 pm   Re: Skin Shedding

UVB needs to do its work when the turtle is under it and water will block out those rays. If a smaller dome or stand will help, then go for it. Some use planter hangers for their lamp holders. For the wattage... it depends what temperatures you're getting... it's just needs to be greater than water temperature to entice basking. The UVB ratings vary from different vendors, what brand are you using?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:10 pm   Re: Skin Shedding

Ok I'm on it! I'll work on the clamp/planter hanger idea today! Thank you. The bulbs are a Zoo Med 5.0 UVB and a 75 watt heat light not sure of the brand for that one.
myfriendmavis

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:49 pm   Re: Skin Shedding

The Zoo Med should be fine but be aware there is a "burn-in" period for it. Is the 75 watt a regular incandescent bulb? Some use a higher wattage so they can keep it further away from the turtle (avoid contact and water splashing). There are also some splash-resistant halogens out there too... they are more expensive but usually lower wattage.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion