General Care Discussion :: Snickers wrapper.

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:56 am   Snickers wrapper.

I never thought in all my years with my turtles, that I would ever have to make a post like this.

This evening I learned from my mother that a week ago, she tried to toss a wrapper from one of those mini-snickers bars into her garbage pail, and somehow it ended up in Sadie's tank instead, and Sadie ate the whole thing. My first thought, honestly, was "At least she ate a wrapper and not chocolate". (I make it a point to assume that chocolate is toxic to all pets).

My second thought was a deep, deep worry that she'll become impacted. Sadie is a full-grown female, and she eats some pretty good sized portions of her NORMAL food, so my logic tells me that a wrapper of that size should be small enough for her to pass it. She hasn't shown any signs of being impacted or any signs of illness. Basically, she's behaving normally. But naturally, I'm still worried and watching her closely. First sign of trouble and she's off to the vet (thank heavens I have a vet who specializes in reptile care).

I really hope that when I clean the tanks tomorrow, that I will find a glob of poo in Sadie's house with a snickers wrapper in it.

On a side note, Typhoon ate a snapped rubber band a couple of years ago, and passed it. I have absolutely no idea how a rubber band got in her tank, because it definitely didn't happen under my watch. One time of a turtle eating a non-food item and surviving, and I can call it a mistake and move on. But this is two times now, coupled with all the other less-than-intelligent things my mom has done over the years due to her stubbornness and lack of insight. It's been a huge debate between her and I because she thinks that it's "dangerous" to have canopies on their tanks; it "traps them in there" is what she says. I'm not kidding you, that is literally what she thinks. Versus all the problems it would solve like when I wake up at 6:45 am to a loud THUNK in my living room because Hurricane has yet again launched herself out of the tank. Or even worse, when I hear KABLAM a couple hours later and I know it's Sadie, and always find her laying upside-down on the hardwood floor. This does not happen daily, once or twice a month at the most, but it's frequent enough to be an issue. And of course, the issue of things ending up in their tanks that shouldn't be there. I hate open-topped aquariums! Having better, more durable basking docks, privacy, totally worth it. And it's going to happen now whether she likes it or not, because I can't take the stress of having to make my turtle's houses "idiot-proof".
Spike - Egyptian mau mix, 8 years old
Phryne - Japanese bobtail, 9 months old
Hurricane - RES, 8 yo, 6 1/2 in. long
Typhoon - RES/Map hybrid, 8 yo, 7 in. long
Sadie - RES, 20 yo, 10 in. long
Sophie - Colombian red tail boa, 5 yo, 5 ft. long
theartbook35

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:15 am   Re: Snickers wrapper.

Observe , observe don't stop the poop alert ! Piggley and I hope for the best ! Material those wrappers are made of will last decades , may not pass for a long time. The movement inside Sadie may stay open until like a kite catches the wind and blocks hers natural flow , keep the Vets number handy. Me for some reason I always have "Murphy's Law " follow me around. Hope it passes for Sadie and soon !
May have to get more creative on tops / covers for there homes...
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:14 pm   Re: Snickers wrapper.

If she poops it out, she might eat it up again. An x-ray might be the only way to confirm if it's impacting her.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:43 pm   Re: Snickers wrapper.

So I cleaned her house yesterday, and she had a lot of normal looking, fresh feces in her tank. I did not find a snickers wrapper, unfortunately. Of course now my mom is saying she's not 100% sure it even was a wrapper (Sadie could have been eating a chunk of her own poo and not a wrapper, since both things are the same color). My mom does have glaucoma so she really wouldn't be able to distinguish a candy wrapper from turtle poo at a distance, as odd as that may sound. There's a part of me that thinks she's saying that because she knows I am concerned and wants to quell my worries. The other part of me wants to call this a false alarm. Either way, I'm not taking my eye off Sadie (not that I ever take my eye off her anyway).

Steve, what you said is one of the things I was thinking about yesterday. Sadie usually can be trusted not to eat her poo (but not always), which is strange for a RES obviously, but if did poop out a wrapper and eat it again, it wouldn't surprise me at all. On a side note, I am NEVER able to scoop poop out of Hurricane and Typhoon's house, because they always re-ingest it before I can get to it.

I keep thinking back to when Sadie laid the twelve eggs... I know the eggs don't pass through her intestines of course, but I feel like if she can laid 12 eggs, then she can poop out a candy wrapper.
theartbook35

Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:55 pm   Re: Snickers wrapper.

I think the size of the wrapper is what matters. Either way, it's just something you need to continually watch out for.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:45 pm   Re: Snickers wrapper.

My gal took to eating her plastic plants a couple years ago. I snagged them from her and still found little pieces floating around months later. Then a few months after that. Yeah. She was recycling them.
I guess wrapper-less poop is better than no poop at all.
Keep an eye out for the wrapper, but don't worry unless she stops pooping altogether, which I hope never is becomes the case.
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
penelope

Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:35 pm   Re: Snickers wrapper.

Well, so far, she hasn't pooped out a wrapper. No changes in her behavior and she's pooping normally. I'm not going to call this a false alarm, but I'm not as worried as I was initially.

Penelope, I've shied away from adding plants to Hurricane and Typhoon's tank out of laziness, but hearing your story makes me glad I am lazy!
theartbook35

Return to General Care Discussion