General Care Discussion :: Lots of help needed ASAP!

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:26 pm   Lots of help needed ASAP!

Hello everyone, long story ahead

So my sister decided to get a baby RES online about 11 months ago, ever since day one I never thought she was taking good care of it. I have experience taking care of fish but not with turtles. Anyway this poor turtle has not grown at all in the past 11 months. She has a 20 gallon long for it and asked me to have it since she doesnt want it anymore. I feel bad for it so I really want to keep it happy. Right now it is in about 2 inches of water ( terrible right) the water is very cold since the heater isnt submerged. I dont even know if the heater works at this point. She does have light i think UVA and a UVB i think ( are UVB blue?). She does have a filter but its not plugged in.. Anyway! I am getting the turtle tomorrow and i want to know everything you can possible think of. Can i use tap water with water conditioner ( I have SeaChem Prime for my fish, will that work). How much water should u have in the tank? Is there anyway it can still grow or is stuck at the size its been. Any thing you can think to tell me will be great!

Thanks!!

And if there is anything you reccomend i purchase let me know!
mmerton

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:24 pm   Re: Lots of help needed ASAP!

What I would do now , under each topic there are informational stickies above post. Read all and make a list of what's needed you will never remember it all a list will help get it right !

Also read all here : http://www.redearslider.com/

No one can give you years of guidance in one post. You have a lot of homework to do now !

Here are some key questions we normally need to help please answer in some detail not just yes or no .

Copy / paste / answer : viewtopic.php?t=2142
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:08 pm   Re: Lots of help needed ASAP!

Any pictures of the setup? What has the RES been fed?

It's great you're being the responsible one and welcome to the forum!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:18 pm   Re: Lots of help needed ASAP!

I still don't have it ugh she was supposed to give it to me this morning but is stalling. Hopefully i get it tonight, i will post pic of set up. I bought new bulbs bc i heard they go bad after about a year. I bought new food too. All i know is that he or she has never had any vegetables or anything besides the pellets
mmerton

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:30 pm   Re: Lots of help needed ASAP!

I'm sorry it's not letting me post any pictures it says my files size is too big.
mmerton

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:36 am   Re: Lots of help needed ASAP!

Open pictures right click on photo edit resize to about 816x612 save and send.
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:24 am   Re: Lots of help needed ASAP!

You can use a free host like imgur or photobucket, or email them to me for hosting.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:30 pm   Re: Lots of help needed ASAP!

Okay thanks. I am having some trouble getting the basking temp up. Its only at 80 ish degrees. She said it was a 90 watt bulb but i have new stuff coming tomorrow. I bought a Exo Terra Intense Basking Reptile Spot Lamp, 100-w bulb. Any tips? I also purchased a new UVB bulb bc she never replaced it
(Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB Compact Fluorescent Mini Reptile Lamp, 13-Watt). It hasnt basked at all, but thats bc the temp wont go up. Water temp is about 76-77.
Attachments
RES.jpg
mmerton

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:36 pm   Re: Lots of help needed ASAP!

A spot lamp (as opposed to a flood lamp) will be pretty intense at 100W. Considering the size of the tank and turtle, I would not use it. I'm using a 50W halogen flood, and the basking area can easily reach 100F about 8-10 inches away. Could that tank hold more water?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:43 pm   Re: Lots of help needed ASAP!

Okay good to know. The tank can hold more water, on the filter there is a "max fill" line, but i am considering getting something to put under the filter to raise it up a bit ( any ideas?). Right now i am waiting for my new basking platform before adding more water since the one now doesn't rise with the water. So should i look for a flood lamp instead of a spot lamp? Any reason why my basking area isnt warmer? She said its a 90 W light. I measured the temp using my inferred thermometer.

Edit: I messed up and read the basking temp wrong. I was trying to use the thermometer through the glass but i measured it from above and it's 92.5 degrees! So i guess i can stop stressing about that. But i would like to know if u suggest i use the new UVB bulb or should i just save it for now
mmerton

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:40 pm   Re: Lots of help needed ASAP!

If you fill up the tank, you can use a H.O.T. filter. What kind of bulb is the 90W? It should be fine to use the new UVB but do a short burn-in before you have it over your tank.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:38 am   Re: Lots of help needed ASAP!

Please read on the boxes or instructions for distance for placement of each , very important ! See you have a double fixture , it's hard to find two different bulbs UVA and UVB that require the same distance. Yes one can balance them out where proper coverage will overlap in a double fixture. It comes down to type , wattage and output alone with manufactures directions for placement of each. That's why long time turtle keepers use two separate fixture to get it right. If wrong placement the turtle knows better and will not bask. Also do as Steve says : do a proper burn in for the UVB , instructions on box for that too !!!

In my 50 plus years turtle keeping only reliable , true reading thermometer I found is the IR type !! Have a draw full of others even digital is inaccurate.
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:29 pm   Re: Lots of help needed ASAP!

Okay thanks everyone. I put the new UVB in and he kinda partially basked. He didn't get all the way out of the water but most of his shell was out. He only stays out for a few minutes. What should he be eating at this point ? I have pellets and tried a piece of red roamain lettuce but he didn't touch it.
mmerton

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:27 pm   Re: Lots of help needed ASAP!

So he's what about a year old now ? Almost a juvenile. You should be introducing veggies to him , if not taking them keep offering them to him and will take. What I do with the young ones is feed the veggies first before the protein. Here's a link for good veggies : http://www.redearslider.com/plants.html

Also a good variety of all turtle food is good for a balanced diet. Omega One is the freshest and the best. Do not let the begging get to you , they only get better at begging with age. Better to underfeed than overfeed ! Use to 2/3's rule ! For protein imagine if his head was hollow "not the neck to" what could fill 2/3's the head size is all a day. Not at each feeding. The veggies say red lettuce the size of his shell is good ! If you want to feed twice a day just divide that above amount in half at each feeding.
If he don't eat the veggies leave them in the tank he may eat it during the day. If not remove uneaten veggies at night and try the next day. By the time he's an adult he will be on 70% veggies and 30% protein to be healthy.
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:18 pm   Re: Lots of help needed ASAP!

Okay thanks ! I will start doing that tomorrow, i already fed today. I also had to get a lower watt light bc the asking area was too hot .. 98 degrees. He seems to be settling in nicely.i have anacharis in the tank but he doesn't touch em.
mmerton

Next

Return to General Care Discussion