General Care Discussion :: How's my tank?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:10 pm   How's my tank?

So a lot of stuff happened, and right now all I want to know is how can the tank that houses the 2 4 inch turts I have can improve, it used to also be home to a bigger turtle, but she is now resting in peace. Please give me your honest opinion
A11D3LETE

Post Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:05 am   Re: How's my tank?

Sorry about Kame !

Did see your questions answered on other post. Not having a basking bulb is not good and the temp you stated is 60* on it. Only way to have warmed up was to get in the water 74*. Yes it could bask but never warm up to control its body temp.

Good read : http://www.redearslider.com/basking.html

By a window I see but most of the good rays are blocked by the glass. What heat is uncontrollable not stable up , down , clouds .... Indoor setup's need both UVA (heat) and UVb for the turtles health.

You asked to be honest , that's hard for me with Kame ... , This is what I picked up on in you answer's. Yes she was 7" and had some age (30) we may never know , it may of been her time ? Turtles hide problems well , even to a Herp Vet. Sliders can live to be in the 50's and some even longer.

Very sorry about Kame !
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:53 pm   Re: How's my tank?

Yeah, I've had the uvb for a weeks now, its just annoying that smaller siblings end up breaking them xD. Temperature right now is 76° in the water. They go up to bask almost anytime they want because of that window, which brings them sunlight. The time I took the photo was like 7:30 pm so yeah it looks dark. I do wish I could rely on using a regular lightbulb for heat instead of a window, but I haven't bought another socket, and parents would probably not be happy with an increase in their electric bill. I would also probably want to get a canister filter. Thanks for replying litefoot!
A11D3LETE

Post Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:05 pm   Re: How's my tank?

If you kind of good with math get the electric bill. Divide the number of days by wattage use for the house. The UVA /heat bulb say maybe 75 watt and show them the very few dollars it would cost. That you would do extra chores around house to help with the bill. That you are learning so much about turtles and there care and it makes you happy. Sure you can find a way. Christmas , birthdays ask for turtles supplies , offer a list of what you need.

Filter is important to but to save money you could make the filter you have now work for two turtles by cleaning it every 5 days so it can do a better job. That heat bulb to me is more important for overall health. If you do get one make sure it's a ceramic one for the heat , safety !
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:19 pm   Re: How's my tank?

How are they breaking them?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:24 pm   Re: How's my tank?

She didn't remove the heater, and poured water on top of it, breaking.
A11D3LETE

Return to General Care Discussion