General Care Discussion :: Activities/entertainment?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:07 am   Re: Activities/entertainment?

That's good , when we offer the correct habitat they don't have to go anywhere for a vacation. Their home is so great it's a vacation every day with no need to escape from it.
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:53 am   Re: Activities/entertainment?

Well, he hates his experimental enclosure. But he likes his new log.

Kingbird44

Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:36 am   Re: Activities/entertainment?

I'm one who likes using any available space. I was thinking of some real cork to wedge there. That log cave looks great and clean looking ! Now Sedge has more temperature range on his basking area. Looks like he will be enjoying it a lot ! Offers him a spot just to dry off if that's all he wants. Gives him something to climb on too , my Piggley loves to climb just to be high up.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:44 am   Re: Activities/entertainment?

How much do you think I should worry about safety with my new log? Sedge likes it a lot but he also uses it as a launching pad...sometimes he jumps off of it into the water and there isn't a lot of room. I've seen him hit his shell on the platform on the way down. But I don't have a lot of extra room to work with, and he likes it...

He used to be afraid of everything so I didn't need to worry about safety! haha

The only thing I can think of is adding an extra platform piece, but I think it would take some work to get it steady.
Kingbird44

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:03 am   Re: Activities/entertainment?

If he's hitting that sharp edge of the tile you could split some hose to cover the edge with a drop or three of silicone. Or the top flat side make a step out of some cork , maybe remove the ceramic tile all the way and just use real cork. Or just put cork on top of the tile. Then if you use cork , it has better grip you can remove that extra ramp on back side , he's big enough to pull himself up . The tile is to slippery to do that now , no grip , and things like that would be safer.

For Piggley it's all cork and very high for a turtle. He is not skittish at all and doesn't run when someone comes into the room fast. He does have his diving time and I had to move in the tank the large driftwood so he would not hit it on the way into the water. He now has a clear path all the way down. Now he show off his technique better. He's working on the turtle roll now !

You could make area bigger and close off that rear to control where he enters the water to the right by the main ramp. If water are get darker under that area you always put an LED strip light on the outside of glass in back for accent lighting , you could do that anyway for looks.
Last edited by litefoot on Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:29 am   Re: Activities/entertainment?

Replacing the whole tile would be a lot of work because everything about the dock, including the stairs on the right, is glued to the tile, and the tile fits into the wood slat. But I like the hose idea! And/or maybe adding some cork. Thanks!

Do you feel comfortable letting aquarium glue / silicon dry in the tank? In the past, I didn't use any glue on the basking area without taking it out for a few days to let it dry first. But that means no nice dock for a few days.
Last edited by Kingbird44 on Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kingbird44

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:39 am   Re: Activities/entertainment?

Yes you could leave as is and just add that softer cork on top of tile ! You were reading while I was editing , check out the PS I added may be an idea ?

Looks like both were editing as reading .

I let it dry in tank , just a little to hole it and on the under side where he can't get to it , drops ok I do it .
Last edited by litefoot on Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:41 am   Re: Activities/entertainment?

I added an edit, too :-P You don't use a tank anyway, but you get the gist of the question.

I like that idea, too. Although I'm not sure if that would mess up the oxygen exchange for the fish. Where do you get your cork?
Kingbird44

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:47 am   Re: Activities/entertainment?

Once I got the look and area Piggley wanted high I put a few drops of silicone on bottom side and let it dry in tank. Being basking area with the heat it dry's very fast !
I built cork on top of cork for the look , I did give up on making a cork tree , so mountain range it is.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:49 am   Re: Activities/entertainment?

Haha mountains are fun, too! Letting a few drops of glue dry in the tank will definitely allow some more additions!
Kingbird44

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:53 am   Re: Activities/entertainment?

Your basking not floating , keep as is and add to top of it? Even if you make it float the water movement you got will keep the oxygen exchange good !

http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/bulk ... -bark.html

Look at all , you can just buy one piece if you want ! Type in cork on search see all. That terrarium background cork may work great ? Just stick it on top of the tile ? Even Home depot / Lowes sells cork tile would look clearer than natural but I like the natural look.

To be honest I hate flat basking area it dos not allow the Plastron to dry off completely.
Last edited by litefoot on Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:05 pm   Re: Activities/entertainment?

Thanks!
Kingbird44

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:10 pm   Re: Activities/entertainment?

Hell , this old man edited again while you were reading. Hard for old men to keep up with young kittens !
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:13 pm   Re: Activities/entertainment?

Nah, I'm just an impulsive poster :-P

I've got lots of ideas now...time to experiment!
Kingbird44

Post Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:02 am   Re: Activities/entertainment?

Oh, I never posted the outcome. I tried so many different configurations and finally settled on this. Sedge seems to like it. I ended up not using most of the cork that I got because it's too messy in the tank!

Kingbird44

PreviousNext

Return to General Care Discussion